Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 08:14 PM

Default coping w/ 2nd

a few days ago i played a 30+rebuy satellite on stars for the bahamas wpt... 200 entrants, we're down to two, i have a 2:1 chip lead, we get all-in w/ my a9 vs his a4.. 4 on river and he goes on to win.

now this isn't a bad beat post. they happen, whatever. the problem is that i'm having trouble playing my a game now, even a few days after it occurred. i was really pumped about the tourney and obviously crestfallen when a statistical improbability robbed me of a trip to the bahamas.. if any of you have had similiar situations and can give me advice on getting it off my mind, your comments would be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot.

smurf
Old 10-15-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Re: coping w/ 2nd

Nice tournament.

Usually, I find that reading other bad beats or reading other posts and thinking/replying to them helps me. So here's mine:

Last week I played in a party 30K guaranteed and made it to the top 3 where I finished 3rd.

couple of my friends were watching from their computers and I told them my plan was to let this super aggro guy on my right take out the short stack on my left, then I'd deal with the super aggro guy.

REasoning was because there was an 1800 different between finishing 2nd and finishing 3rd.

So I'm folding and folding when finally super aggro raises with KQ and short stack calls with A 3.

Flop comes K 4 3 rainbow, nobody has any draws and short stack decides to try to steal with his 3's....super aggro says "good luck" and calls his all in bet.

Turn 2

river 5

short stack now has more than I do.

VERY NEXT HAND I get 10's and I get raised by super aggro, I rr to 3x his bet, and he puts me all in. I call and he has QQ.

I looked it up, that hand A3 vs KQ on flop of 34K, the A 3 is only 25% chance to win. I was suprised it was that high.

But point is that 3 out of 4 times i'm 1800 richer ( at least)...I was happy for the money, but mad cause I should have had more.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:58 AM

Im not sure he's looking for sympathy stories, I'm pretty sure its about how to get his mind off it. To the OP, take a couple of days off and blow some of your winnings (check OOT on how to blow 1k). That should get your mind off it.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:00 AM

yeah, that's a great idea... it's sort of funny because i told my friends how upset i was that i got 2nd and they were all in shock that i was upset at winning $600... i guess poker players just have a different mindset...
Old 10-16-2005, 12:12 PM

I agree with what you just said...poker players have a different mind set.

At least I know I do. I post as many hands that I win as I do the ones I lost only to make sure that I played them correctly and find out if I extracted the most out of my opponents.

Sorry is a sympathy story didn't help, sometimes just talking about things helps. So I guess it was partly a 'healing' process for me.

I guess I have to 'thank' you for making this post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, yeah, spending some of your new hard earned cash is always a good thing. I bought myself a nice watch wisth some of my winnings. I haven't had a nice watch in a Long LONG time. yay for us!
Old 10-16-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a few days ago i played a 30+rebuy satellite on stars for the bahamas wpt... 200 entrants, we're down to two, i have a 2:1 chip lead, we get all-in w/ my a9 vs his a4.. 4 on river and he goes on to win.

now this isn't a bad beat post. they happen, whatever. the problem is that i'm having trouble playing my a game now, even a few days after it occurred. i was really pumped about the tourney and obviously crestfallen when a statistical improbability robbed me of a trip to the bahamas.. if any of you have had similiar situations and can give me advice on getting it off my mind, your comments would be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot.

smurf

[/ QUOTE ]

First, congrats on your great tourney.

Second, remember that you played well, but that does not entitle you to win.

Third, dissapointment is a fact of life. Grieve if you like, but more than one hour's worth would be ridiculous IMO. Nothing wrong with feeling bad if you don't let it get out of hand.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:25 PM

Nice to see that I'm not alone, The same thing happened to me earlier this year about 6 weeks before the WSOP. I had just been coming off a horrific run and didn't have much poker money. I was rebuiling my roll at the time that I entered a $33rebuy on Stars. 129 players, 1 WSOP package for 1st place. When it was heads up, we were deadlocked. I finished 2nd by making a HORRIBLE call for all my chips.

I couldn't get the 2nd place finish out of my mind for at least a week; it was on mind all of the time. I don't think there is anything you can necessarily do to make it better. Just wait. You'll be fine soon enough.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:07 PM

I've been heads up twice in double shootouts with even stacks in the past six months - one for WSOP, and one a couple weeks ago for the Bahamas. Both times, I had to take a few days off from playing when I lost because I had no desire to play, but was fine shortly thereafter. Best way to "cure" what you're feeling is a winning session.

I'd say that it was a full week before I was completely feeling normal again. It'll get better - just give it a few days. Maybe it'd help if you played a little lower for a day or two til you felt you had your "A" game back.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:18 PM

I was in a 30 person tourney. I was heads up with a 2-1 chip lead. I get A-9 off make it 30K to go. Donkey calls. The flop is A K 2 he pushes before i even make a bet. I insta call. He flips J 10 and rivers a Q. He took the tournament. I havent played one since. I still feel a little sick i could loose to a donkey....
Old 10-18-2005, 04:25 PM

If you cant play your A game after losing a 3 to 1 fav you just need to play more poker. Lots more poker.