Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Ed Miller\'s NL Book?

will this be a cash game book? when will it be released? anything else i should know to build the anticipation?
Old 01-23-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Ed Miller\'s NL Book?

yes...it's a cash-game book.
He's doing it with Sklansky.

I believe Mason said that it should be released by the summer....but I'm not positive on that.

I think the 2nd Harrington NLHE-tourney book is due out in a couple months and then the Sklansky-Miller on NLHE cash-game book.

I'm hoping for July or August for the Sklansky-Miller book. I'm very much looking forward to this as well.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:55 PM

cash game? you mean like a buy-in? Or playing with cash insted of chips?
Old 01-23-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cash game? you mean like a buy-in? Or playing with cash insted of chips?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe they mean as opposed to tournament style.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:09 PM

I thought I read a post by Mason saying the book was both newbie limit AND newbie no-limit (something I thought strange for 2+2)... that, or that Miller was going to be working on two books, which makes more sense.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:24 PM

I thought I read a post by Mason saying the book was both newbie limit AND newbie no-limit (something I thought strange for 2+2)... that, or that Miller was going to be working on two books, which makes more sense.

There are two books:

Getting Started in Hold 'em which should be out sometime in March is a book for new/inexperienced players. It focuses on fundamental concepts in hold 'em: limit, no limit, and tournament. It is intended to be accessible (but challenging) to the casual player. It is also designed to prepare readers to read the more advanced books on hold 'em: SSH, HPFAP, HoH... and the following book...

Yet to be titled book on no limit hold 'em which should be out in late summer I'd guess. That book will discuss playing no limit hold 'em cash games in thorough detail similar to the books of the Advanced Player series. That project is less far along, so I have fewer details.

Getting Started is almost done now, and I'm quite proud of it. It's going to be less controversial than SSH, but it has its controversial moments. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] It is written in a very different way than some of the other books aimed at newer players... and I think many people will find it to be the absolute best preparation for SSH available.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:32 PM

wow cant wait for the book Getting Started in Hold 'em.

i wish i knew this was coming out Before getting WLLH. i have SSH too.

what was so controversial in SSH?

and this new book Getting Started, how is it written differently compare to other books aimed at new players?

thanks
Old 01-24-2005, 03:38 PM

what was so controversial in SSH?

When the pot is large, you often should play loosely and aggressively, even with hands that aren't so great. That's the most controversial point made in SSH.

and this new book Getting Started, how is it written differently compare to other books aimed at new players?

I take the reader through a number of hands as the protagonist and introduce concepts like pot equity, domination, and implied odds as they arise. It gives the book a less textbooky feel.

I think the limit stuff in Getting Started won't be very controversial. The no limit stuff probably will be, though.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:29 PM

It's two separate books.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:33 PM

I thought Ed was mainly a limit guy. It will be interesting to hear his take on NL, as I haven't seen him post on the NL forums, well...ever. But, I haven't been around here very long. Is Miller contributing to this book mostly because he is probably more familiar with small stakes NL (and SS poker in general) than Sklansky is?

I'm really looking forward to this book.