Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2004, 07:40 PM

Default $1k SNG Hand - Opinions?

We are down to 4, with one stack lower than me, but not by a lot. He is also very aggressive against stealers, making it harder for me to steal through. Big stack hand certienly opened up his game raising the last 3 pots. What would you do here:

Converter not working for some reason, so here goes:

TheWombat (4128 in chips)
Seat 3: serb2127 (1525 in chips)
Seat 6: Fanning (5712 in chips)
Seat 9: Chief911 (2135 in chips)

I'm on the button with JJ. Blinds are 75/150. Fanning open-raises to 450. Hero....

Nick
Old 12-19-2004, 08:29 PM

Default Re: $1k SNG Hand - Opinions?

...slams his stack in. Nothing else merits serious consideration - you can't call off a quarter of your stack and you can't fold JJ to someone who raised the last 3 hands in a row.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:40 PM

Cows.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:42 PM

This one?

Old 12-19-2004, 09:04 PM

You lucky bastard being able to play in 1k sitngos with Wombat and fanning.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:21 PM

Ok. This was not intended to be a bad beat post, because it is not. My only consideration here was worth taking the risk before the small stack might bust.

Results:

Fanning calls, and flips over AKo.

Flop is full of rags, turn is a Q, river is an ugly K.

So no one feels that you migth fold this here considering stack sizes (And I'm not implying I think it is correct, I just want a nice checkup)?

Nick
Old 12-19-2004, 09:37 PM

I think you need to push.

Gotta play for first. Also, like you said, his stack is not much smaller than yours so its not like he's busting out in the next couple of hands. If he had under 1000, I'd think about folding.

Where can you play 1K sng's?
Old 12-20-2004, 05:22 AM

hey, I'm a lowly $55 player, but for what it's worth....

Big stack is clearly stealing often, so you have maybe a 50-60% chance he will fold, and are ahead of maybe 75% of the hands he would call with (which quite a few givin he is gitting decent odds to call with reasonable hands) The blinds are reletively small still, but I don't see passing up this chance to preserve a 500 chip lead over the shortstack.

If my thinking is all wrong, that's probably why I'm playing $55's. If it's perfect, a guess I'm just a pussy.

Steve

edit-just reread the oringinal post. I though you had 1500 chips, making it about 1000 to go. It would actually be about 1700 to go, so you should get the fold 75% plus, be ahead or even on 50%+ of his calls, still a push
Old 12-21-2004, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Big stack is clearly stealing often, so you have maybe a 50-60% chance he will fold

[/ QUOTE ]

This logic is iffy imo. So the big stack is stealing often, but you have to take into account that his starting hand requirements are going up with every consecutive steal. he's going to have to back off sooner or later, and probably wanted to, but picked up a huge pf hand and is perfectly set up to get a push from any pocket pair and Ax. I'd expect a call from the big stack about 70% of the time here.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:57 PM

Why do you think his stealing requirements necessarilly go up every hand? I think this is only possibly true, especially with Fanning.

I think the logic of "because someone becomes more likely to play back at him each time he steals" is flawed, since to play back at him, the short stacks have to commit all of their chips to the procedure, which they aren't going to often do on a pure resteal. Especially not if they get to the point of say, Fanning being pot committed to call their reraise.

citanul