Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 03:35 PM

Default PS 10+1 late

Sorry, at work...this is from memory:

61 left, 135 paid...you know the drill, only worth it in top 5 or so...anyway:

Blinds: 800/1600 plus antes (full table)
Hero in SB: 27K
BB: 24k
Button:45K

all fold to button who calls, hero has A5h...easy push right? Just making sure, thanks

p

Edit: 3rd hand at table so no reads nor player stats...
Old 11-03-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: PS 10+1 late

If this is really an "easy push," I must be missing some fundamental concept of tournament poker (which is entirely possible).
Old 11-03-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this is really an "easy push," I must be missing some fundamental concept of tournament poker (which is entirely possible).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i could fold...

I am not raising, because I dont want to play this OOP for sure and I also cannot really lay down to a RR...

Button limping has shown me nothing, unless he's trapping (doubt it) what does he call half of his stack with? By just pushing, I am adding almost 20% to my stack.

Of course I might be fundamentally flawed...I am a SNGer by trade and not the best MTTer by far.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:24 PM

The problem with pushing here is that your risk reward is way too high. The stacks still have plenty of room here for a standard raise which will accomplish the same thing. 10XBB or 7X(blinds+antes) is about the correct size to start pushing when raising.

My guess is that BB was tight for a reason. He has plenty of money and can afford your steals. He sees you overbetting BTF too often so he tightens up and waits for you to give your stack away.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with pushing here is that your risk reward is way too high. The stacks still have plenty of room here for a standard raise which will accomplish the same thing. 10XBB or 7X(blinds+antes) is about the correct size to start pushing when raising.

My guess is that BB was tight for a reason. He has plenty of money and can afford your steals. He sees you overbetting BTF too often so he tightens up and waits for you to give your stack away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well not really (I was just moved to the table recently...previous table was hating my donkish laggy ways though).

But you're right, its a risk/reward issue plain and simple. I guess I shouldve just completed because I would have to raise enough out of the SB to make sure I didnt get into any tricky oop flop situations.

I should add that I had a bit of an $/hr. consideration in this push as well...I was feeling a bit sick and tired and wanted to hit the hay...so I took some risks that I guess shouldnt be normally taken.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:20 PM

i think pushing here is fine. i used to be very susp. of button limps, but now i think it's often just some misc. mediocre hand. completing is fine too.

everybody saying "you have 16x" or whatever - you have to remember the antes, which means that your stack is effectively much shorter (at least from my perspective, b/c i'm used to playing on party.)
Old 11-03-2005, 03:42 PM

BB is still to act and a button limp is really suspicious this late in a tourney. My stack is still very playable, so I just complete and hopefully see a flop and take it from there
Old 11-03-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My stack is still very playable, so I just complete and hopefully see a flop and take it from there

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, you still have like 17BB, no reason to push here IMO.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB is still to act and a button limp is really suspicious this late in a tourney. My stack is still very playable, so I just complete and hopefully see a flop and take it from there

[/ QUOTE ]

In a $10, a button limp does not necessarily mean anything more than the guy got both his cards. Occasionally you'll see a monster, but I wouldn't count on it.

If I'm raising, I'm probably pushing. At this point a walk in the blinds can be very pleasant, so you gotta train the guys to your right to keep their paws off.

That said, I'll complete with a suited ace. Keeps you from trouble if BB or button wakes up with a monster pre-flop, and gives you the chance to flop something very nice/playable.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:49 PM

I don't see how raising to 3xBB commits you if someone comes over the top.