Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Completing the SB

I've been reviewing a lot of hand histories over the last couple of months in coaching players, helping friends improve and also swapping with other sup bro?'s to plug leaks...and i've noticed something in most other peoples play that at first i thought was a leak of theirs, and now i'm thinking may be a leak of my own and wanted to toss it out there for ya'll and see what is the 'norm'.

So here is the question...

What are your calling standards from the SB in the following situation:

$33 Buy-In...LVL 3...8 Players...t950....three limpers

I would complete with any ace, K7+ Q8+, any pair, any straight flush cards, any connector 56+, any one gap 57+, any big little suited...all of these types of hands.

The pot odds are large and the price to enter is small...leak? Or is it a leak to be folding these?

What about with less limpers? What about with more?

With less I complete with any A or K and remove all of the low drawing hands. With more I don't complete with any A or K and I broaden range to any suited cards and most str8 cards.

Andre
Old 05-31-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Completing the SB

It may be a leak, but I'm a tight fcuk from my SB. I'll complete with crap like Axs and suited connectors and some other decent hands, but I have no desire to play somehting like K7 from the worst position.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:24 AM

I was under the impression that you have pot odds to complete the SB with almost any two cards if there are 3+ limpers in front of you.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that you have pot odds to complete the SB with almost any two cards if there are 3+ limpers in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]Hello? Anyone? Beuller?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:41 AM

this is absolutely not true..if we are assuming that the SB is 1/2 the BB.

if the SB is 2/3rds of the BB (as in lvl 1)...then yes.

Andre
Old 05-31-2005, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Hello? Anyone? Beuller?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well with unsuited high low crap you stand a 3.44% chance of hitting something playable on the flop (trips, two pair with no pair on board, FH, quads) So, no...
Old 05-31-2005, 07:52 AM

Okay, help me out here:

Say the blinds are 10/20. There are four limpers to me in the SB which means there is now $110 in the pot. This means that I am putting in $10 for a chance to win a $120 pot assuming BB checks. Seems to me that I have the correct odds against five players putting on only $10 for that chance to win $120 no matter what two cards I am holding.

Is the distinction what is "playable" here? In other words you might have a hand that turns up a winner often enough to make completing it the correct move but that there is really no way to legitimately play many or most of those hands acting first in a multi-way pot?

So when we discuss "pot odds," is this concept somewhat meaningless when it comes to this particular item?
Old 05-31-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about your implied odds, not pot odds. Maybe no one else cares to make this distinction, but it's really annoying me for some reason.

If 2 people limp and they each have 100 chips left, I'm not going to complete with 65s. If they each have 1000 chips, I will.

I'm not completing with K7 or Q8.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's all about your implied odds, not pot odds. Maybe no one else cares to make this distinction, but it's really annoying me for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit Phil read my @#$@#%#%#$ posts. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2005, 11:49 AM

completing in the small blind is often a bad play reguardless of your cards. If I am going to play from the small blind I come in raising more often then not.

Listen to Phil though, he hit it.