Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Hand from WSOP 2000 NLHE

My tounrnament was going great and we had just burst the bubble a couple hands ago. I had been at my new table for about 2 hours and had built my stack from 27K to 39K without showing down a hand. I had recently been raising a lot as the short stacks stalled to get into the money.

The villain in this hand was very TAG. He had twice folded KQo faceup from the BB against shortstack all-ins and had discussed folding pairs up to 10s in the same situation. He and I have been sitting two seats away from each other and have talked about not tangling with our large stacks. While we were seated together he never called and always entered a pot with a raise or reraise.

Hero: ~39K
Villain: ~50K

Table Average: ~23K
Tournament Average: ~21K

Hero is UTG and raises to 2200 with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Folded to Villain in BB who quickly makes it 10K. Hero ...?

I don't think this is as easy of a decision as it seems. Would love to hear some opinions. Thanks.

-Jason
Old 06-15-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Hand from WSOP 2000 NLHE

[ QUOTE ]
My tounrnament was going great and we had just burst the bubble a couple hands ago. I had been at my new table for about 2 hours and had built my stack from 27K to 39K without showing down a hand. I had recently been raising a lot as the short stacks stalled to get into the money.

The villain in this hand was very TAG. He had twice folded KQo faceup from the BB against shortstack all-ins and had discussed folding pairs up to 10s in the same situation. He and I have been sitting two seats away from each other and have talked about not tangling with our large stacks. While we were seated together he never called and always entered a pot with a raise or reraise.

Hero: ~39K
Villain: ~50K

Table Average: ~23K
Tournament Average: ~21K

Hero is UTG and raises to 2200 with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Folded to Villain in BB who quickly makes it 10K. Hero ...?

I don't think this is as easy of a decision as it seems. Would love to hear some opinions. Thanks.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

It is an EZ decision.
Just Push and if he has the rockets so be it.

This also keeps from making a tuff fold, if an Ace hits.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is an EZ decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly
Old 06-16-2005, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is an EZ decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

terrible reasoning. lets take a look at the images here for a second. hero has been lag. villain has been extremely tight, and has shown a couple of big folds. this is the part in johnny's lesson where everyone thinks to them selves why would i show myself laying down kq out of the blind to a lag player??? the answer of course is that you want to put a resteal on him in the immediate future. i would like to see you smooth call his reraise, check behind on the flop, and call his push on the turn if no ace shows up.

my .02
Old 06-16-2005, 05:01 AM

Default Results

Well, I did what most people suggested. I gave it very little thought and pushed all my chips into the pot. He insta-called with rockets and I got no help. Looking back with 20/20 hindsight, I think that a push is only getting called by this player with a hand that has me beat or tied. I definitley think he lays down QQ and AK to a push. He had made it very clear that he didn't want to tangle with the bigger stacks but I got blurry eyed with my cowboys.

I am also curious if anyone knows if the villain did anything more in the tournament. He was a bigger 22 year old with a large goatee and a loud (but not in a bad way) personality. This was certainly the biggest pot of the tournament so far and he was without question the chip leader after he won. Thanks for the insight.

-Jason
Old 06-16-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Results

You did nothing wrong.
Only 1 person can win, and when you get cold decked like this what can you do?
At this stage in the tourny, you don't win by mucking KK to agression.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Results

I like your play. I really think that AK was very likely for most players. Also, while you're right... he lays down most hands that you beat, I also think there's so much in the pot that just taking it there is well worth the risk.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:59 PM

Very difficult choice.
Considering your discussion with this other player you can assume he has JJ QQ AA or in a scary world KK, unless you think he is angle shooting, but not many people angle shoot when they chit chat. Maybe, he would do this with AK.

Now consider:
He knows you are tight.
He will not even tangle with a small stack.
He is tangling with you, a big stack.
You are healthy in chips.
You could double up.

Now the question is, why did he bet so hard. He is saying, I have a big hand, this pot is mine. From what you say about this player, I do not think he is bluffin.

If I fold I lose 5% of my stack. If I push and he has aces I lose 100%. If he has QQ or JJ or AK, I think he folds to a reraise, so I do not double up from pushing.
So, (.25)10000+(.25)10000+(.25)10000+(.25)-39000= -2250
This is about the same you lose from folding(2200), but with much less deviance. I think I am willing to give him credit this one time.

I dont think any arguement about him raising to 10k discounts AA. People argue that so often that if you think your opponent is strong and you have aces, you should overbet.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:13 PM

Insta-push. Being afraid of AA at this point in the tournament when you hold KK should not even be a thought.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:00 PM

due to his 4.5x reraise, i do not think he has AA, so i would push.
If he had made it more like 6 or 7K, i do think it does start to become more debatable.
You also said you had been raising a lot, so he won't have you as tight.