Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 05:27 PM

Default No Absolute Morality WITH God Either

For those who did not already realize it, my concession to Not Ready that there is no absolute morality without God was done mainly to move debates along to other points. Because I never accepted the converse. That God provides absolute morality. All he provides is rules. Rules that he wants obeyed. Most of those rules are similar to rules that the majority of people think are good for people in general. Some aren't. When they aren't there is no is no reason to ascribe to them some sort of absolute "rightness".
God is the boss and the buck stops with him. And there is benefits to having a boss even if he sometimes expects, you to do what you don't like. The Prisoners Dilemma shows this. Both prisoners do better if their boss tells them not to snitch, then if there was no boss at all.

But that doesn't mean that you have to give up your notions of what is "just" because God wants something else. Even God can't tell you what is just. Anymore than he can tell you whether chocolate tastes better than vanilla.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: No Absolute Morality WITH God Either

I'm not sure if this is what you mean... but...

If God is the Absolute moral standard, then morals are still relative -- to God!

So, morals can be relative to humans -- that we know exist, and can poll to get their opinions on various ethical situations -- OR, they can be relative to "God" -- that we don't know exists, and can't poll to get his opinion on ethical situations.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If God is the Absolute moral standard, then morals are still relative -- to God!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So, morals can be relative to humans -- that we know exist, and can poll to get their opinions on various ethical situations -- OR, they can be relative to "God" -- that we don't know exists, and can't poll to get his opinion on ethical situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if God = Morality. Morals must be seperate from god to be relative to him. If God is the moral law then no moral relativity is possible in relation to god.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if God = Morality. Morals must be seperate from god to be relative to him. If God is the moral law then no moral relativity is possible in relation to god.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain what "God = Morality" means? Or is that one of those mysteries we can't know?
Old 10-26-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But that doesn't mean that you have to give up your notions of what is "just" because God wants something else. Even God can't tell you what is just.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just another form of the Euthyphro dilemma. As I've stated before, it amounts to a denial of the possibility of God and reduces to might makes right.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I've stated before, it amounts to a denial of the possibility of God and reduces to might makes right.

[/ QUOTE ]

You once again fail to see the hypocrisy of your own untenable position.

Your stance that God is the source of absolute morality is, by definition, nothing but might makes right.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your stance that God is the source of absolute morality is, by definition, nothing but might makes right.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

God's might makes right, not humans.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

God's might makes right, not humans.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it doesn't.