Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 02:37 AM

Default 510 BB downswing

I wouldn't have believed it was possible, but I'm down $15,300 in the last 9 days. TO really make the story great I cashed out 20K last wednesday, and started losing right away.It hasn't stopped. I've actually run out of money in my Empire account. I transferred 3K from Party last night, then lost it tonight. I'm faced with the humiliating task of cashing in my savings on Monday to reload.

Anyone else ever had a swing this bad? I've only had 2 losing weeks in a year, this is insane.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Re: 510 BB downswing

wow, David - that's a hell of a swing, and still doing it full time as well...

are games getting tougher or are you just getting raped?

I for one feel as more and more players get pokertracker and the real time stats that I'm gonna play less there and more on sites that don't support it as well.

RB
Old 01-29-2005, 03:10 AM

I don't think the games are any tougher, and I don't think I'm playing any different, but I can't win a pot over $100.
Tonight I'vemade only 3 flushes and 1 straight in 1000 hands, and I lost them all. I'm ready to bust a blood vessel.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the games are any tougher

[/ QUOTE ]

They're certainly not as good as they once were.

I have to echo some other people who say you aren't playing your best game. I've seen you do some strange stuff in the past few days.

I've also seen you on pretty late and in some crappy games.

scrub
Old 01-29-2005, 05:03 PM

Dave,

wow I just broke out of a 220BB swing. Its been a horrible January for alot of people. You are a fantastic player, you'll get it back.

JB
Old 01-30-2005, 01:28 AM

This reminds me of that article about the strangest game ever in Mike Caro's Section of S/S 2... when he talks about how apparently everyone made New Year's Resolutions to play better poker... maybe it happened [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2005, 07:27 AM

David,
I'm not much of a poker player but me thinks you should take a break. Read a book completely unrelated to poker.
I would recommend Cormac McCarthy's 'Sutree' or Haruki Murakami's latest "Kafka on the Shore". Although i haven't read the second suggestion I'll be picking it up tommorow.
The worst thing you can do during a big downswing is try to turn it around. Just stop and pick it back up after you read one really satisfying novel. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2005, 04:47 PM

LOL, I don't have S/S 2 but he definitely recycled that from his Fundamental Secrets book, and probably recycled THAT instance from something else.

The thing I love about Mike Caro is when I'm reading something by him I can actually hear his "mad scientist" voice/demeanor in my head.

2ndGoat
Old 01-29-2005, 02:46 AM

Take a break, at minimum you're on semi-tilt. I saw you UTG+1 cold call and UTG raise TWICE today. That should almost never happen, let alone twice in one day. Get away, take a break, don't let it get worse. I've also seen you call out of the sb first caller to an early raise on numerous occasions. Take a step back.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:50 AM

ray zee just wrote somewhere almost all bad runs are partly attributable to playing bad (i'm pretty sure that's what he said anyway, i hate to misquote).