Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2004, 06:13 AM

Default Should I call at the river?

I only called at the river here because I thought it was possible that the guy had AK, but I was pretty sure it was an overpair. Was I right to call for the size of the pot? Obviously I'm not getting away from this hand at the turn, but I think the river call was poor.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: 3rdEye is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB raises, 3rdEye calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB bets, 3rdEye calls, UTG calls, MP1 folds, Button folds.

Turn: (6.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB bets, 3rdEye calls, UTG calls.

River: (9.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, 3rdEye checks, UTG bets, SB calls, 3rdEye calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Kd Kh (two pair, kings and jacks).
3rdEye shows Qd 9d (two pair, jacks and nines).
UTG shows 2h 2d (two pair, jacks and twos).
Outcome: SB wins 12.50 BB. </font>
Old 07-03-2004, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Should I call at the river?

Wow. What did you think he had if he's raising out of the SB and betting out on all streets? He only checked when the board paired (bad play on his part), and that should tell you he only fears the trip jacks. Muck you Q-9s from the BB when the SB raises. I hope you didn't put him on A-K when you decided to call preflop.

To answer your question, yes. You're this far in to the hand, and it is often a crime punishable by loss of poker privileges to not call 1 bet on the river for a nice pot after flopping top pair. You river call is acceptable, but what is not, is your call preflop.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:41 AM

I didn't think that Q9s was a terrible hand with which to defend my big blind, but given that only 3 players were in, I probably should have folded preflop.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:43 AM

I don't understand your flop action. What did you intend to do if a blank (non-diamond below 9) hit on the turn? What about if a non-diamond above nine hit? I think you should have raised the flop, given players behind you unfavourable odds to draw to their overcards as you're in a perfect position to make everyone call two bets cold, and if you are 3-bet by the SB you can fold the turn unimproved or the river if you miss a draw you hit on the turn.

Now I've read the results, I have to say that I love UTG's value bet on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2004, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You river call is acceptable, but what is not, is your call preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? If he calls pre-flop, he's very likely seeing the flop 5-handed with Q9s which will cost him one bet to play in what will be a 10-bet pot. Furthermore, his position if he flops top pair is very good to raise and fold out overcards, and if he flops a flush draw, it's possible that the action will allow him to call re-raise, getting some juicy value. I think folding this hand pre-flop would be crazy.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:50 AM

Raise the flop. If he 3-bets call, then call the turn, then you can make a more informed decision on the river. How strongly will this player play AK?

You can't know if he has A-high without tossing in a raise. If you raise the flop bet hopefully the players behind you will all fold. This makes the hand a lot easier to play.

I don't think you have to worry about UTG's bet. It's likely he has a PP and puts SB on AK and you on a draw. It's possible he has A9/A5/A3, doubtful he has a J unless it was J + a heart draw. I don't think the call is that bad considering the SB's weak river play. Without a read on the SB that he wouldn't call the river with only A high, I would probably call the river too.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:57 AM

It's also a play with a very low EV (0.01) that, as it did, can cause you to flop just enough to lose you more than that 1/2 BB.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's also a play with a very low EV (0.01)

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get this figure from?

[ QUOTE ]
[Q9s] can cause you to flop just enough to lose you more than that 1/2 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd fold Q9o from the BB in a heartbeat in this situation. But 5-handed for one SB on the left of the PFR in what is going to be a 10SB pot? Two connected suited fairly high cards should not be folded here.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:32 AM

I'd probably call the pre-flop raise from the BB since this'll be a five handed pot. But flopping one pair (especially the 9) won't keep me in the hand long....with this hand I want to flop an open-ended straight and/or flush draw, or I'm out. In this case, flopping weak top pair, If you are going to stay in, you have to raise the flop---this will drive out other overcards, and will give you a better idea of whether the SB is raising/betting with a big pair or just a high ace. If you get 3-bet on the flop, be prepared to lay it down if you don't improve on the turn.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'd fold Q9o from the BB in a heartbeat in this situation. But 5-handed for one SB on the left of the PFR in what is going to be a 10SB pot? Two connected suited fairly high cards should not be folded here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, now that I think about it, calling here wasn't such a bad play getting 10:1 odds out of the BB.