Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 04:53 PM

Default horrible play out of the BB

I am on an absolutely atrocious run in SNG's. Here's some fantastic play from me out of the BB. This is what happens when you play micro-limit a lot read all the limit texts, and play NL SNG's for fun without reading anything on NL poker. Good times!!!

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed)

MP (t670)
CO (t1725)
Button (t1990)
SB (t850)
Hero (t695)
UTG (t2070)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t50, MP calls t50, CO calls t50, Button calls t50, SB completes, Hero checks.

Terrible. Check/fold or even pushing is better here I think. I don't want callers so what do i do? I bet 50. I want to bet the minimum amount that will get everyone else to fold. But the two chip leaders both limped and are in this hand...What's a good play here?

Flop: (t300) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets t50, UTG calls t50, MP calls t50, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds.

Check/call. No reasoning here whatsoever. Terrible. I think my brain turned itself off like the Terminator did in T3 when the evil hot-chick terminator reprogrammed him to kill John Conner.

Turn: (t450) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG bets t50, MP calls t50, Hero calls t50.

River: (t600) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG bets t125, MP folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t725

As a reward for my play in this SNG I am not playing another until I read TPFAP.

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG doesn't show.
Outcome: UTG wins t725. </font>
Old 06-22-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Re: horrible play out of the BB

I find this situation very tricky too.

Your bet on the flop was certainly incorrect, but the right play isn't obvious to me.

After posting, you've got 645. I see you've got 3 options:

- Check/fold
- Bet less than the pot - say half-pot to 200, to try and take it down. If you get raise, you've got (just) enough chips to fold and play the next hand.
- Push.

Personally I think I'd check/fold - probably due to me inexperience in these situations. Out of position 6 handed and I'm not feeling confident with my top fair/weak kicker. I've got enough chips to make a stand in a better position.

Not the most useful of replies - perhaps a more experienced player can help out more [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2004, 12:37 AM

With all six people in, I'd check/fold that flop, since you really don't want any callers, even if you're ahead, and someone will probably call you with a pocket pair (in which case, you're alright), or something like JT or AT (you're out of the tournament).

If there were only one or two opponents in the pot, I'd be pushing here, and just hoping that no one has AT.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:15 AM

With your flop bet of T50, you're not representing anything to the other players, hence their calls. You're inviting them with ease to look at more cards and that is most likely why UTG saw the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] at the end to help him hit his set or two-pair and bet T125.

I would have at least bet T100 on the flop, maybe even T150 to represent a strong hand. Anyone calling that bet would have flagged me for a medium PP or possibly AT. I'm thinking some low PPs stayed in the game because of the weak betting and were looking to hit their set.......and UTG did. Or he stole the pot with nothing, seeing how weak the betting was.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:36 AM

Must've been something in the air... had an almost identical hand myself last night. FWIW, you're not alone. I bubbled out in 4 straight, kicked the pooch, and shut it down for the night. C'est la vie.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:00 AM

if you are going to bet the flop here you have to bet a lotmore, you are offering your opponents correct odds to cal here with anything that has a chance. if you bet the pot here and are called you can fold on the turn if you check and are bet into.you are better off checking or pushing.

now when the turn came that card didnt help anyone here. so if i were you i would have pushed it here and hope to get called by something like A7, which probably would call, and if you get no callers all the better. if someone had a strong T they probably would have raised on the flop.

Pat
Old 06-23-2004, 09:12 AM

This hand can be hard to play, and it can be easy to play, it's your call. By betting a tiny amount into the field on the flop, you are asking for trouble. Not only are you giving people odds to draw--but you have no real clear idea (if no one reraises) what your plan will be on the turn.

A line I like to take with a hand like this is to check the flop, and fold to any bet from a non-maniac. If it checks through, and an undercard comes out (as it did in this hand), I bet the pot and fold to a raise. On the river I shut down usually, unless I improve.

Sure, weak tight, but at least I have a plan going into a "BB special top pair zero kicker situation". Check calling is a bad play, unless you are against a very aggressive player. I prefer check raising a doubtful raise over check calling (which I would never do here on any street except the river).

Good luck, you can think and plan situations like this ahead of time. Of course, always go with your gut--but have a general idea of what you are doing before you go into a situation like this.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:34 AM

I think at this stage anyone who had a ten with another broadway card would have raised before the flop. If not as a steal, simply for value with all that money already in the pot.

I would have bet 250-300 on the flop. I think you have the best hand at this point.

But then again you have to remember to never lose a big pot with a marginal hand. I would have took into consideration how likely a pot sized bet would take it down. If I had a good chance I'd pot it or go all in on the flop.