Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2004, 12:48 AM

Default should I lay this down or not?

I had an interesting hand the other day that I might have made a mistake on and wanted some opinions. Here are some details:
$.50/$1.00 NL game. It is raised to $4 by someone in late position. He has about $40. I'm in the small blind with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and I call. I have $90. Big blind also calls. He has $125. Three take the flop.
Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check (mistake?),BB checks, and raiser bets $12. I decide to fold.

Should I call or reraise here? I feel like I made a mistake.
Anyway the BB called and took the pot with QJ. A little frustration came when another diamond came on the turn.

Any advice would be appreciated,
Harry
Old 06-20-2004, 01:12 AM

Default Re: should I lay this down or not?

I push here. There are really very few hands that the BB or the preflop raiser could hold here besides a set that put you in a bad position. Your flush outs are clean and your overcard outs are almost certainly good (barring AA or KK). Even if you're up against a set or big overpair you still have nine flush outs. Barring these hands, you're ahead of a pair of jacks or QQ (55% to 45%). Bottom line, you're probably ahead and even if you're not you still have a lot of outs. Furthermore, a push has a huge chance of taking it down right there. I think this play was far too weak. I definitely look to get all my chips in on that flop. If you're aprehensize about putting all your chips in play when you're ahead but don't have a "made" hand you should probably be playing a lower limit.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:16 AM

Default Re: should I lay this down or not?

This is an incredibly tight-weak laydown. Preflop, i'm not sure about this, but you might think about reraising here to try to get heads-up with the initial raiser, even though you're out of position, because you're not getting good enough implied odds with only 2 callers to consider this a "drawing hand". On the flop, you got one of the better flops you can get for this hand, other than a pair and a flush draw. You have to consider the fact that this guy could easily be betting with top pair (something like AJs, QJs, KJs, or even, if he's crazy, J10s). This would make you a favorite at this point with your overcards and flush outs. In addition, he could easily have queens, which would also make you a favorite. In the worst case scenario, he has a set, which would make you a slight dog, but, considering the fact that you are drawing to the nuts, I would consider the implied odds great enough to justify a call. Therefore, regardless of what the other guy is holding, I think you should (at least) call here and see what the turn brings. Thanks, Andrew