Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 02:54 AM

Default 3/6 Decisions. Show some love.

I have been reading 2+2 since the beginning, but haven't posted very often. I am a winning player over hundreds of thousands of hands, but win less than 1.5BB/100, which makes for some rough streaks. Because of a current extended losing streak, I am putting some serious effort into improving my game.

I plan to post a lot of my troubling hands and I hope you all can help me out.

Thanks,

Oscar

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

UTG seemed very aggressive (a lot of raising) to me, but I hadn't seen him show anything down yet.

Flop: (10.33 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.16 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 12.16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Qh Qd (three of a kind, queens).
Hero shows Ad Kd (one pair, kings).
Outcome: UTG wins 12.16 BB. </font>

Is this an acceptable course of action or do I need to show more strength earlier in the hand?

Hand 2 (no reads):

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (5.33 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (5.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 5.66 BB

Hero shows Ks Qs (high card, ace).
CO shows As 6h (one pair, aces).
Outcome: CO wins 5.66 BB. </font>

95% of the time, if I raise preflop and it's headsup, I am going to bet and keep betting until I hear otherwise (slow down on the river). Reasonable?

Hand 3 (no reads)

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG folds, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, BB folds.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (5.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: 5.66 BB

Hero shows 2h 2s (two pair, eights and twos).
MP3 shows Ad 4h (two pair, eights and fours).
Outcome: MP3 wins 5.66 BB. </font>

For most of my poker career, I would never have called pocket 2s in EP(and maybe I still shouldn't). However, I am desperately trying to open up more preflop.

Maybe this results thinking, but I think I should have given up on that hand on the flop. Betting into 5 people with a club draw out there was probably -EV. Right?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero folds, BB calls.

River: (6.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 10.66 BB

BB shows 7d 5c (two pair, sevens and fives).
UTG+2 shows 6s 7h (two pair, sevens and sixes).
Outcome: UTG+2 wins 10.66 BB. </font>

I didn't think my draw was good enough for a raise on the flop?

On the turn, besides a diamond, the 6 was the worst card for me. Anyone continue with this hand?

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Oscar
Old 06-17-2004, 09:23 AM

Default bump (nm)

nm
Old 06-17-2004, 09:56 AM

Default Re: 3/6 Decisions. Show some love.

ok, this is what i should have done. but im pretty new my self so idont know whats the right thing to do.

Hand 1
i would have raised the flop, and then check called all the way.

Hand 2
i would have checked the turn and fold,

Hand 3
wouldnt play it...

Hand 4
with so few callers i would preflop, 1)throw it a way or 2) raise,
and bet out on the flop and hope for a free card at
the turn.

Exscause me if my english isnt the best.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:01 AM

On hand four, you definately should raise the flop if you decide to continue on in the hand. A raise should help clean up your overcard outs.

Kenshin
Old 06-17-2004, 10:58 AM

Hand #1 - Raise on the flop.

Hand #2 - Nice thing about Party is that many players, even at 3/6, will call down any A, regardless of kicker. Bad thing is, you weren't going to push him out. I'd stop pressing where you did, maybe earlier.

Hand #3 - I was playing this at lower limits because the table was so passive. I only play low pairs from EP at very loose and passive tables now. The chance of getting raised is too high. If you do play, I think you've got to fold if you miss. You are almost certainly drawing at a two-outer and not getting odds to do so.

Hand #4 - I like this one. There are plenty of folks in to call with 9Ts. On the flop you have overcards, but if you hit one, your kicker sucks and someone else may hit the straight. You have the backdoor flush and gutshot to the nut straight. You are getting proper odds (pot+implied) to pay a SB for a crack at the nut straight. I like the fold on the turn.