Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 08:08 AM

Default Talk about AA in online tournaments (flame me here)

I've been thinking about this for a while, and one of the most common ways that I see AA getting cracked online. Is when there is a caller to a preflop raise and with a flop something like 8d 3d 2s and the caller bets out for a marginal amount, and the AA correctly puts the caller on a flush draw and moves all in.

I don't like this play at all. For one, even at the 200 nl sng level players are not laying down 4 to the flush even when it is clear that there is an over pair or set out there. Especially A high flush draws. Second, I understand that you want to make it as expensive as possible for them to call their 2 to 1 shot, however, were not talking about an infinite game (especially a sng). I'm still working out how I think AA should be played here, but not totally certain yet. I would like to hear the way others would play it.

I like the idea of reraising the flop, and then depending on stack pushing on turn when an apparent flush does not hit. I don't think the majority of online players are savvy enough to bluff at a pot on the turn after a reraise on the flop when a third suited card hits, but this is the risk you take, and should consider laying AA down here to a substantial raise.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Talk about AA in online tournaments (flame me here)

stage of tournament is a crucial consideration.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:48 AM

how would you play this in the first hand of a single table freeze-out?

how would you play this on the bubble with against an even stack?
Old 06-17-2004, 01:37 PM

So. The player has a flush draw and you have AA in no-limit. He's going to call an all-in raise as a 2:1 underdog. And you are wondering if the raise is "good" or "bad".

Its a good positive EV play.

Is there a better play? Well, if he's going to call an all-in bet on the turn then you should wait until the turn since now you are a 4:1 favorite. But that only works if you KNOW he's got a flush draw and know he'll call; two very questionable assumptions. Likewise if he's going to bluff all his chips on the river you do quite well calling him down. Same problem with the assumptions.

There MAY be some graduated pay-off tournament considerations that apply; but this is good advice for a ring game.

It does't matter about the long run never getting there.

- Louie