Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2004, 06:32 PM

Default Ignoring the obvious a paying for it.....

Just feel like bashing myself a little in public. I think this turn call by me is horrible, and the river reraise pretty bad as well. I put the BB on the 3 on the flop after he CC'd two bets, then talked my self out of it so I could give away some more money. The turn call is brutal though, and the poker gods really made me pay for making it....

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (10.20 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.20 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 18.20 BB, between BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB (18.20 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Qc 3c (four of a kind, threes).
Hero shows 9s 9h (full house, nines full of threes).
Outcome: BB wins 18.20 BB. </font>
Old 06-16-2004, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Ignoring the obvious a paying for it.....

Not so bad - you can't put somebody on quads - maybe the 3 bet on the river was not the greatest but . .come on - he needs pocket 10s or a 3 - yea - he is the BB so a SMALL warning light might have flashed - I would not kick myself
Old 06-16-2004, 09:40 AM

Take your stand on the flop. You don't have the odds to chase a nine. If you think that the button has a ten then fold to his raise. If you think he's raising with overcards or a middle pocket pair then reraise.

Lost Wages
Old 06-16-2004, 09:44 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Until the 3 bet on the river, i wouldn't be putting him on a 3. He could easily be playing a T this way. Maybe even an overpair.

Id still call his 3 bet on the river. I wouldn't be capping though.

b
Old 06-16-2004, 11:20 AM

I would fold to his flop raise as I figure to be behind against a BB 3, a T or an overpair.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:10 PM

BB shows no indication of having the nuts until he blows up ont he river - and that still doesn't necessarily mean anything. He could have had a 9 and gotten trips or something.

Nevertheless, the flop looks like a good place to fold. You raised preflop and bet the flop and now you're raised on a paired board with 2nd pair? It's likely that you're chasing a 2-outer in a pot that will never be big enough.

Can't blame you on the river... I would have done the same, though it probably would have been wrong.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:13 PM

The thing that horrifies me about the flop action isn't the button raise but the BB cold-calling two bets after checking. Whenever I see that I smell trips, so the 3 on the turn would put me in a very defensive mode (whereas I've seen many people raise with two pair using a pair on the board even when the pair is an overpair to theirs).
I think you just got very unlucky catching the 9 to make you think you were a made man and I'd agree with the others that the reraise probably should have been a call.

One thing I've noticed on the low limits tables is that slowplaying trips seems to be almost universal, even with a monster pot to start with and action on the flop..they'll sit there and wait for the turn. If anyone bets into a paired flop you can be almost certain that they ain't the ones holding trips (especially if it's someone on the button who's been checked to). I'll usually bet if I have two pair on a paired flop to see what's out there but if anyone calls me I back off. If I'm in early position and I see a guy on the button who always tries to represent I'd go for the check-raise instead...anyone who chooses to come along for the ride after that gets treated with respect.

Also I don't think I would have raised with the 9's pre-flop unless I was first in but that's horses for courses I guess.

Postscript: just got an interesting beat...had AJ in MP with 1 caller in front (an Ace-rag merchant) and the blinds came along with the button to make 5. Flop comes 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], everyone checked as expected.
Turn brings A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]..now the Ax merchant bets immediately, so I raise to drive out anyone on a draw (and forget about the pair on the board). The others fold and he calls. He checks the river and I bet...he calls and shows me K2o. Should have remembered he was a King-rag merchant as well! If he hadn't been so passive and reraised me with his strong trips kicker I'd have saved a bet. That's classic low limit poker...like the guy who just checked and called me all the way to 5th in a heads up as I bet TT/A top pair and then showed me QQ with a J kicker! He hadn't even raised pre-flop...now that's slowplay. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2004, 02:52 PM

Default Thanks for replies...flop fold is better

I was thinking the turn call was bad, but I guess I should give up on the flop when SB cold calls it. I felt like there was a good chance I had the button beat despite his raise though.