Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 05:46 PM

Default The Name Tell

I recently faced a tough turn decision. My very nice trips top kicker got unexpectedly raised. Against a passive opponent I could assume that I had probably walked into a trap set by a full house and just call down. However an aggressive opponent could easily be making a play with a worse kicker. Even though he could also have a boat the odds substantially favored reraising.

Problem is I knew nothing about this opponent.

Eventually I chose to call. This was the winning move as he had a full house.

One factor that may have swayed my decision was the player's handle. I don't think it's right to identify a non-famous non-2+2 opponent by name in a post. Suffice to say it was similar in meaning to "Bully".

My impression has been that when a player's name describes his style--e.g.: "Granite", "Chip Gun", or "Bluffer"--that description usually turns out to be false. In this case I guessed that Bully usually had proper values for his raises.

Opinions?
Old 06-08-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Re: The Name Tell

Names may very well have some meaning as to the players style of play, but then again they may not. I know you're a good enough player to judge someone by their style of play. Granted, you had no experience with this player. I would have to make my decesion on this hand through pot size and the way he played the hand. Intuition may even be a slight factor. In conclusion, I will probably never even consider a players name in any way unless significant studies (which will never be done) show that it is vastly true in one sense or the other.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:16 PM

I don't passively call that's for sure.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:19 PM

Heh, I agree. In fact, I think I mentioned in passing something about my 'theory of names', but only in passing.

I've observed the same thing. People with names like "callmybluff" seldom bluff, which is interesting. And people with names like "playforfun" are terrifying [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I'm rather wary of players with poker names.

I have also observed that people with numbers after their names have a tendency to be rather uncreative. Even though my memory is lousy, the ones with numbers after their names that can actually play really stand out in my mind because they're very rare.

People with cute and creative names seem to be better players. Fun names garner more action as well. I renamed myself on Party fairly recently, and it seems to have had the desired effect.

When I just sit down, and haven't observed any action at all, the name can be something of a tell sometimes. Not perfectly accurate, but it does appear to indicate something of the mindset of the player.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have also observed that people with numbers after their names have a tendency to be rather uncreative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I hope you're not including ME in that! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I know what you mean though, I love it when someone's name is Jeff8098087.

As for the opposite thing, Riverloser is a good example. I seem to see him doing well in tournaments on Stars.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:37 PM

i would never base my play of a hand bases on a persons handle or the sex of their avatar...i think these things are unreliable and what may be true for some are not true for others...
Old 06-08-2004, 10:19 PM

Every idiot under the sun has some clever name on the internet. If you know nothing about them, that's it, you know nothing about them.

For instance... I have used these names from time to time...

steelballsd
chumboy
fishymcfish
stonekiller
Supa-fish
iron_fist
AlCaponeJr

If you have never played against me, what would you conclude from my names here?

(Note that they are all the same person)

al
Old 06-08-2004, 11:38 PM

i just keep it simple

first initial and last name.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:27 AM

I am always just a little more atttentive to what cards people are actually playing when their names suggest weakness in the game, especially if they reference aquatic life at all.

Most inexperiened players would rather be seen as strong than weak, and choosing a weak sounding name is usually a sign of someone who at least thought about choosing a name.

IMHO, Most inexperienced players also have no idea what the term fish means or how it applies to poker.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have used these names from time to time...

steelballsd
chumboy
fishymcfish
stonekiller
Supa-fish
iron_fist
AlCaponeJr

If you have never played against me, what would you conclude from my names here?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a winning player most of the time. You like kung fu movies. You are about 5' 7", but believe you are taller. You can be bluffed off TPGK too easily. Clowns terrify you.