Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2004, 11:10 PM

Default overbet the pot?

ill try to keep it simple, since its an situation that comes up a lot.

$1/2 NL HE game on UB (very loose, but no specific reads yet). UTG+1 limps, i limp in LP w/ 910o, button calls, SB completes, BB checks. flop is 2 9 10, 9 and 10 both hearts. checked to me, I bet pot, $10. Button calls, everyone else folds. Turn is a blank (4 or a 5). Pot is now $30. I bet pot again, button cold calls again. Flop is a Q, no flush, and I check. Button goes all in for about $50. I think for a while, call, he turns over Q10 hearts (he had flopped top pair and a flush draw).

I called for a few reasons on the river. I'm not worried he flopped a set, since, though he might have cold called the flop, theres no way he's going to cold call again on the turn with straight-flush cards on the board. Can't have hit a set on the turn (wouldnt have called the flop) or the river (would have raised preflop with QQ). So the only hands I can think are J8 (but he probably wouldnt have called a pot sized with just a straight draw on the turn), KJ (overcards and a gutshot, but probably not gonna call the turn) a missed flush draw (with a pair mixed in that kept him in on the turn, hopefully not w/ a queen kicker...) or even KQ, since the clowns at the $1/2 are liable to call pot sized bets on the turn with overcards.

i never bet more than the pot after the flop, but maybe thats where i went wrong. i probably would have taken it down then and there. since before the action on the turn i'm worried he cold called with a set, i'm hesitant to overbet the pot. bet half the pot and fold to a raise (he's reprsenting a set)? but that gives him a cheaper shot at chasing a flush.

what do you guys think?
Old 05-29-2004, 11:23 AM

Default Re: overbet the pot?

I think I'd be worried that the flop and his hand both had the ten of hearts.

twice in 2 days. go me.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:26 AM

Default Re: overbet the pot?

Most of the time betting more than the pot won't change the results of hands like this. You were giving him 2:1 odds which is going to kill 90% of draw odds out there. He had top pair, decent kicker, and flush draw (? you need to look at your description again). Few will lay down this hand for any amount of bet.

As long as you're betting enough to crush drawing odds, you're betting enough. You're allowing your oponent the opportunity to make a mistake - which he did, but got lucky. Just because he called 2 big bets doesn't mean he was drawing correctly. The queen should have been a scare card for you as it possibly completes one of the draws that someone may have been hanging around for. Also remember that at the low limit tables, people don't usually think about correct play.