Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2004, 01:47 PM

Default What many consider a toughie..... pocket jacks......

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (7 handed) converter

CO ($57.95)
Button ($19.40)
SB ($18.15)
Gomez22 ($106.80)
UTG ($33.40)
MP1 ($100.75)
MP2 ($50)

Preflop: Gomez22 is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to $1</font>, CO calls $1, Button folds, SB folds, Gomez22 calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Gomez22 bets $3.25</font>, MP2 calls $3.25, CO folds.

Turn: ($9.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Gomez22 bets $9</font>, MP2 calls $9.

River: ($27.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Gomez22 bets $15</font>, MP2 calls $15.

Final Pot: $57.75
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $57.75, between Gomez22 and MP2.</font>

I think if no one else hand called, I would have re-raised PF, but being as I was out of position, and against 2 players, I thought it best just to call. Also, it was pretty hard for me to bet the last $15 on the river after a PF raiser's calling me down the whole way.... that much I DID NOT LIKE.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:54 PM

Default Re: What many consider a toughie..... pocket jacks......

Gotta wonder what he is calling with, AK with 1 heart? A9 of hearts? He MUST have had something to call at the end, did he think A high was good? Or was this sombody slow playing that called weak on the river. I think your play is fine. I honestly like the call from BB since you will be out of position. If you were to re-pop here, you gotta make it $5 or so, and bet pot on the flop no matter what comes, but I don't know if that is the most profitable play over time.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:54 PM

Gomez, not good. What on earth are you doing checking here preflop? Raise the pot. The min raise in EP is suspicious, just calling gives you no information about your opponent's hand. You need to raise, and open up communication. You also need to raise for value, because your hand is ahead an overwhelming amount of the time here. Cold calling does you no good.

Postflop, I really dont see how you are behind. Unless you are playing against an incredibly loose passive player, who may call you down with QQ or something, you are way ahead. Bet for value, you are likely being called down by top pair.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Postflop, I really dont see how you are behind. Unless you are playing against an incredibly loose passive player, who may call you down with QQ or something, you are way ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless he flopped a set.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What on earth are you doing checking here preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had PF raiser pegged as a bad player.... If I re-raise PF, and he comes over the top of me, how can I then call???

I wanted to see a flop as cheap as possible here given my weak position, and the fact that there was a cold-caller behind him. I thought that way, I can make a better judgment on how to proceed on the flop and turn....

PLUS - I think my post-flop skills are somewhat better than average in full table ring games, so I wanted to play to a strength of my own.

Most of the time, I will come over the top huge if the player is somewhat decent, but against fish, I tend to tread lightly in alot of situations... they can't lay a hand down.... a good player can.

PS - Very good read on your post-flop comments; I'm impressed...