Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2004, 11:58 AM

Default Super Monday Take two (last post didnt work)

My heart was racing. I was the chip leader of the Super Monday tournament, and there were 11 people left. I clutched my cream soda, tapped my leg on the floor, and told myself "I'm not messing this up". All my Duke friends had caught word of the tournament, and a crowd of about 20 observers were following me around, shouting dirty college jokes and "Strassa! Strassa!" everytime I took down a pot. The adrenaline was flowing. Nothing like tournament poker.

Back to the action. I had 200k chips, second stack had 150k, but he was sitting at table two. I was at table one. The only other significant stack at my table was 100k, and the player liked to see a lot of flops and make moves. Average was around 70k.

Now to the hand. I get dealt a smooth 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB. Blinds are 5k/10k. I had been playing a very tight/aggressive game, building my stack not on draws or coinflips, but by taking advantage of an overly aggressive former big stack (who was now eliminated). Even though I had a big stack, I think players still thought of me as tight, as I was not making any big moves.

Its folded to the 100k stack who limps from MP. Quite frankly, I have no idea what this person could have. She has done this a few times, but never shown any aggression post-flop. Its folded to me, I check.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Holy cow. I was very, very scared. This is the type of hand I didn't need! I decided to attempt to buy the pot right there. There were tons of cards I did NOT want to see on the turn. So I slightly overbet the pot, betting 33k. My opponent INSTANTLY calls. Absolutely ZERO hesitation. I immediately put her on three hands:

1) The nut flush.
2) Straight draw
3) Flush draw
Or both 2 and 3.

I had to rule out a set, because a set would most certainly push in that spot. I had to rule out a low flush, because a low flush would automatically push. I still felt confident I was ahead, but for how long I had no idea.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hey, I kinda like that card. I pause and begin to think. I really can not throw this hand away at this point, when I only think there is a small chance my opponent has be beat. If she has a draw, she will probably fold if I push, and have an average stack heading into the final table.

So, I push.

She thinks, which I am very happy to see. And as the seconds tick down, she calls.

She turns over: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

The river is the beautiful A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] , and I take down the pot. I thank the lord the ace did not come on the turn, and I move to the final table with 300k, double the second stack.

I ended up coasting to the final 5, taking out the 4th and third place players, and losing heads up to a very talented player by the name of Fishh00k. Second place paid out $17,400.

How would you have played that hand? Slow down on the turn? Check raise on the flop (I dont think I'd ever do that)?

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Super Monday Take two (last post didnt work)

Didn't I see this hand in another thread? Personally I like the play.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:46 PM

Since you posted it 3 times, we will now all fellate you. congrats. Nice score.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:55 PM

Technical issues, joy.