Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2004, 05:55 PM

Default My first foray into Multi-Table Tournaments (the hand I busted on)

My first multi table tournament, never dealt with stacks this big but have had good success at SNG's.

50+5 Party tournament, 900 entrants, about 200 left.
Average stack just under 3k, my stack was just under 6k.
Current Blinds are 150/300.

The main opponent in this hand I had seen play draw hands very passively -- which is what I was basing some play on in this hand. No real solid read, though, he was rather new to the table.

Hero is in BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] . Folded to main villian who limps, SB goes all in for ~1000 chips. I call and villian calls.

-I called here as it was around 700 chips and if villian came back with huge re-raise I could let it go. He limped preflop and then when the pot was big didn't re-raise so I didn't put him on a big hand.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Good flop for me, I figure I had to be ahead and with no clear draws for a raised pot I decided to try to get a bit out of him. I bet 1100 into a ~2900 pot. This woulda left me with ~3800 chips. I did this so I could laydown to an all-in reraise if I sensed strength. I also thought a pot sized bet would require an all-in (2900 vs 4800 in chips.. improper thought here?) Villian calls.

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

A seemingly harmless card for me, villian has been passive from the start so I decide I have to be good and I push. Villian calls.

Results in white:

<font color="white"> River is another rag diamond and villian wins with KT of diamonds. I know in this situation I got my money in with (by far) the best of it, but I'm not sure if I played the first few streets right.</font>
Old 05-09-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Re: My first foray into Multi-Table Tournaments (the hand I busted on)

Pre flop looks ok.

Bet on the flop looks ok.

I think turn bet is ok, too. Maybe checking is more prudent, MAYBE he flopped a set and is slow playing it, but that isn't too likely.

All I can say is what horrible play on your opponents part. Smile, with dead money like that in the tourneys you are bound to make a fortune! (This was in a 50+5? wow, I need to start playing at party again)
Old 05-09-2004, 06:42 PM

Hehe, at first I was shocked but I was pretty pleased afterwards, not everyday you can get money in with such a huge edge.

I wasn't concerned I lost now.. just not sure if I could have played better.

Thanks for comments
Old 05-09-2004, 07:15 PM

If you have enough of a stack that you can put a dent in the Villain I think you have to reraise preflop. A raise to about 1800 or so should be enough to get him out of there. In fact, I would probably just push in. The only hands you're in big trouble against are AA, KK, QQ, and AK, not exactly limping hands for the Villain unless they're the tricky type. The flop ended up being terrific for you, but a lot of times its not gonna be and you're gonna have a tough hand to play out of position against an opponent who could have almost anything.

Also, I think a laydown to big reraise preflop or on the flop is a bad move in the long run in those Party Multitables. By calling on the BB and making a small bet on the flop the strength of your hand is too well disguised for you to credit the Villain with AA, KK, QQ, 33, or 55 if he comes over the top.