Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Does playing stud help or hurt one\'s hold\'em development?

I'm a solid and continuing improving player who has chosen hold'em as my predominant game. I read these forums voraciously and play daily, and I guestimate that I'm earning approximately 2.0-2.5BB per hour playing 2-4 Party. I also play $10+1 SNG, and earn approx. 30% ROI.

However, there are times that I do like to play microlimit stud8, in order to keep my stud skills somewhat sharp for the home game in which I play, as well as to just clear my head, as a sort of mental, poker crop rotation.

My question is--since it is obvious from my experiences (as well as from Mason's essays) that stud and hold'em do require some very different skills, will playing stud reinforce some habits which may be bad for hold'em, or will my becoming better at stud only help me also become a better hold'em player?
Old 05-16-2004, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Does playing stud help or hurt one\'s hold\'em development?

Anytime you diversify and expand your horizons it can only help your game. Playing different games expands your understanding of the general principles of good play, and can be extrapolated into any game.

I feel sorry in a way for the "limit hold'em only till the day I finally friggin' hurry up and DIE" types. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al
Old 05-16-2004, 03:41 PM

It will improve your development as a poker player. And, that will help you in all games you play.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:51 PM

I think the fact that it uses a different skill set than hold'em is exactly the reason to learn the game. I'm about to start learning how to play stud, I was originally debating between learning stud and learning omaha, I'm planning to learn both eventually, but decided to go with stud first because it's not a flop game and it will challenge me to expand my thinking.

Anytime you learn to think in a different way it can only be good for you.

That's my .02 at least.

J
Old 05-19-2004, 05:32 AM

It developes your POKER skills. A body builder doesnt just blast his pecs he utilizes a well rounded workout plan to improve his overall "game".
Old 05-19-2004, 09:47 AM

I was playing microlimits hold'em and showing little for it. I switched to microlimits stud and started winning so much (and not stopped) that I would not play hold'em now. You might just find that you prefer stud to hold'em because you make more money at it.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:01 PM

I play both and have no problems. As long as you are aware of how different the games are as it sounds like you are then it shouldn't hurt.

The main reason I like stud is that unless you are being tight to a fault, a lot of hands are playable. You don't need to fold anywhere as near as often as you should in hold 'em.

You need a lot more card knowledge than in hold 'em to play well and there is a lot to remember and keep track of at once. The variance is also a lot higher so you should prepare for the possibility of going on deeper, longer and more frustrating losing downswings than in hold 'em. Bigger upswings also happen and once they're consistently bigger than your downswings, you know you're doing something right.

The Slansky book is excellent and practically required reading. I hear a lot of good things about Ashley Adams new book. However, I believe I have quite a different approach than he does from what little I've gathered from his articles on the game online. That's fine though- so long as it works.

Like any variation, the best way to profit is to find tables where people are playing badly. Another good thing I've found is there seem to be more bad stud players than bad hold em players to be found online. It is a much more complex game to mechanically play correctly so there is more room to "have" things over your opponents (and give them) online with the absence of physical tells.