Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2004, 08:44 PM

Default Euro 2004

Thought I would get a thread started about the coming European Cup tournament which begins in June. Two months early doesn't feel like too long to me to begin talking about the biggest sporting event this summer except maybe the olympics (my vote is still for Euro 2004).

For those of you unaware, Euro 2004 is a tournament consisting of the best teams from accross Europe. They went through a qualifying stage and the finals of the tournament has the 16 teams that qualified.

Here are the groups:
Group A
Portugal, Spain, Greece, Russia
Group B
France, England, Switzerland, Croatia
Group C
Sweden, Denmark, Bulgaria, Italy
Group D
Czech Republic, Latvia, Germany, Netherlands

Top two in each group advance to the second round.

Here are my picks:
Group A: Portugal, Spain
Group B: France, England
Group C: Sweden, Italy
Group D: Germany, Netherlands

I think those will be the rankings also with the first team finishing top and second in second.

I have given pretty much straight up vanilla picks so I'll give some likely upsets. I think Greece will give Spain a big fight for the second spot in the group (home ground advantage and the shame of the last world cup will have Portugal top) and maybe win it. Greece finished above Spain in qualifying for this tournament. England have looked shaky as of late, I wouldn't be surprised to see them crash out with the Croats going through.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Euro 2004

I would dearly love to watch some of the matches here. What channels (if any) will they be broadcast on in the States?
Old 04-12-2004, 06:06 PM

don't you mean European Championship? The european cup is what the champions league (teh club tourney) used to be called.

If only scotland had made it...sigh...

England should pull their usual get-to-teh-late-stages-then-lose-to-a-more-talented-team maneouvre.

..now you've made me go look up the tourney and team details on teh web.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:15 PM

I think Portugal will win. Can't bet against the home team. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2004, 06:50 PM

I've heard both referred to as the European Cup. You still will hear the champions league and the competition under discussion as such.

In any case I think we agree on what England will do.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:15 PM

You didn't once in your entire post even mention what sport these teams play. I'll assume its soccer, soccer really sucks.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:46 PM

Thank the maker, a thread on this forum that won't generate deep hatred (or actually, it might! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). Nonetheless, this is right up my alley.

My group winners are:

Group I
(Spain, Russia). Portugal has been playing terribly lately, and I don't think the home field advantage will help. Figo isn't playing anywhere near what he can. The Russians are a solid bunch, they always have been. I think they can pull the upset. Spain is extremely strong.

Group II
(England, France). England is scarry. It really depends on which English team shows up. I'm sure the Beckham distractions won't help either. France is getting older, and a team like Croatia could sneak in here. I'm sure Mr Zidane will have something to say about that. This could be the "Group of Death".

Group III
(Italy, Sweden) I think Italy takes this group easy, but I'm partial to the Azzuri. Sweden is ok, none of the other teams stand a chance.

Group IV
(Germany, Netherlands). This could also be Group of Death 1A. The Czechs will finish in a close 3rd, and possibly 2nd depending on the Dutch. They always have a highly talented, underachieving side (see England). If they're heads are screwed on right, they could easily beat the Germans, who also have a very solid side.

My sentimental champion is Italy. Whats nice about that is that they could easily win this. They are very strong in goal, solid on defense (both typical Italian traits), and strong in the midfield. The question will be wether or not they can score enough goals to win.

My suprise champion is the Netherlands. Like I said before, if they wake up, watch out.

My realistic champions are between either the Germans or Spain. Both are very solid throughout. The slight edge goes to Oliver Kahn and the Germans.

Great topic jdl! I would love to see other analysis, and not just your typical "soccer sucks" response.

Joe
Old 04-12-2004, 08:51 PM

If you didn't know the sport the post wasn't meant for you.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll assume its soccer, soccer really sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should know what you are talking about before you make such a broad statement. If it is your opinion, then you are entitled to it, but keep it to yourself. You know what they say about opinions.....

Joe
Old 04-12-2004, 10:23 PM

Yeah, I wasn't really serious. I don't even know why I responded in the first place. Guess I didn't like reading a whole thing and not even know what it was about and before I knew it I was saying soccer sucks. Oh well, no big deal.