Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Foxwoods -10-20 Game

After taking some strange beats playing 4-8 (like a guy holding pocket 4s with AK on the flop waiting for his third 4 and catching it on the river after 2 of my raises holding AK) and drunk guys raising with anything pre-flop and sometimes catching. After discussing my move with various players, I've decided to upgrade my game, skipping the 5-10 kill game and moving right to 10-20.

My sources tell me that the 10-20 game is where all the good mid-limit players play at FW. They say it plays mostly tight and straight forward. I'm skipping the 5-10 game because it is basically the 4-8 game players who have a little more bankroll and plays 10-20 most of the time anyway.

Any opinions from the FW regs on this game? I assume $500 is also the right amount to bring onto a game like this.

Old 04-29-2004, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods -10-20 Game

You're having trouble beating the strange people at 4-8 so you're moving up to 10-20. Good thought. When will you be there next?
Old 04-29-2004, 02:47 PM

so wait, just so i get this straight....

you can't seem to beat the 4-8, so you're skipping right over the 5-10 and on to the 10-20 to play with some "solid" players?

i like it.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:56 PM

Hey! I called first seat in this game!
Old 04-29-2004, 03:03 PM

sounds like you are headed in the wrong direction as far as limits go.....

if you don't understand why i am saying this after reading your post than you are definitely headed in the wrong direction.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:20 PM

Now Zack, be nice. It took me a while to understand this. Now I crush the 4-8. There are only 2 things that can help, and moving to the 5-10 or the 10-20 is not an option.

1. Get a good talking to from JTG51. It really works. You might even want to pick him up at his house, and drive him to FW for the 1st hours lesson. The 2nd hour comes on the way home after you talk about the various hands you played that day.

2. Read the Joe Tall essay about bad beats. I don't have the link, but, if Joe runs across this post, he'll post the link for it.

A bonus piece of advice would be to play your big hands fast. They will call, and you want them to call. Thats how you make money, even against 44. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Joe
Old 04-29-2004, 03:28 PM

I knew that I would get some of these responses but let's continue the discussion.

I play 4-8 at FW once a week(not weekends)for about 4-6 hrs (I have a life and a real job beyond poker). Sometimes I'm up after a session and sometimes I'm down - with the up's 66% of the time. Beyond basic sound play - you can't bluff or make any strategic moves at this limit - someone will always call you down for better or worse. I've never seen any player skillfully dominate a FW 4-8 game, but I have seen higher limit players reduce themselves to 4-8 and get slaughtered.

I'm looking for a new challenge, 4-8 is too boring. Bankroll is not an issue, I'll probably drop lots of cash to you pros for a while!!
Old 04-29-2004, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Beyond basic sound play - you can't bluff or make any strategic moves at this limit - someone will always call you down for better or worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fancy moves you should be making at this level is betting/raising for value. Like I said before, you want them to call you down. Bluffing will not make you any money at this level, so, adjust your basic strategy to bet for value more and bluff less.

By the way, you can ocassionally bluff in this game. Picking your spots will depend on your image, your opponents play, texture of the board, your position, and I'm sure a few more points that I'm missing. Finding these points in the 4-8 should make this game a little more exciting for you. Also, have fun! When you have the nuts, announce it and ask the dealer to "ship the pot to you". I'm sure you'll get more people to play at you, which will in turn will get them to call you down more often, which, if you adjusted your game properly, will make you more money! Now isn't that fun and exciting! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Joe
Old 04-29-2004, 04:10 PM

This is a very accurate description of the 10/20 also.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After taking some strange beats playing 4-8 (like a guy holding pocket 4s with AK on the flop waiting for his third 4 and catching it on the river after 2 of my raises holding AK) and drunk guys raising with anything pre-flop and sometimes catching. After discussing my move with various players, I've decided to upgrade my game, skipping the 5-10 kill game and moving right to 10-20.

My sources tell me that the 10-20 game is where all the good mid-limit players play at FW. They say it plays mostly tight and straight forward. I'm skipping the 5-10 game because it is basically the 4-8 game players who have a little more bankroll and plays 10-20 most of the time anyway.

Any opinions from the FW regs on this game? I assume $500 is also the right amount to bring onto a game like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you stop and think before you wrote this that you will most likely get flamed very badly for this post?