Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Party Connectivity Problems -- Help!

I posted this problem once before, and didn't get much feedback, and since my problem has not gone away, I thought I'd try one more time.

I know Party's software isn't the greatest, but I can't seem to play for more than 45-60 minutes before the lag on my pc just gets too long. 10 seconds from clicking decision to it appearing. I can't play like this and piss the other players off.

I emailed tech support. They advised me I likely don't have enough memory, and they told me to clear out my temp internet files and cache.... Did that, but memory problem can't be it. They told me I need a minimum of 15,000 kb of memory free and I think when I checked system performance on their website, I had about 250,000 kb free. I usually don't even have twoplustwo up when I'm playing, Party is the only application running when I play.

I have a new laptop (six months old) and have downloaded no software except for Party and UB. I have no problems playing on UB at all. I have a 40 GB harddrive, the laptop is a Compaq Presario.

I do use dialup, and usually connect at 26.4 kbps. My phone line does not have the technology for me to go DSL otherwise I would have. I have Directv, so didn't really want to go the cable route, and Directv satellite internet is more expensive than the $16 a month I pay now for dialup.

Is my problem the dialup connection? I have to believe that out of the 40,000 on Party at any one time, at least half have to be on dialup or at least a good percentage.

I don't want to go back to UB because I really like the competition difference from going from UB to Party.

Can anyone offer up some other troubleshooting ideas on why I might be experiencing these lags/delays? I don't need a desktop computer do I? The laptop has to be powerful enough isn't it?

Please help, I want to continue to play at PP, but this is driving me nuts! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2004, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Party Connectivity Problems -- Help!

If you're talking about the "disappearing buttons" problem, the only solution is to reset your internet connection every 20-30 minutes.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do use dialup, and usually connect at 26.4 kbps.

[/ QUOTE ] There's your problem. You need to check you dial up speed. It's too slow. Need to change the setting to 52kbs. You will connect at about 46kbs, that is, if your phone line can handle it.

Donna
Old 04-25-2004, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's your problem. You need to check you dial up speed. It's too slow. Need to change the setting to 52kbs. You will connect at about 46kbs, that is, if your phone line can handle it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to try and figure this out myself, but if someone can advise how I do this, it would be appreciated.

Thanks Donna.

Vehn-- I was talking about 10-15 second lag times between clicking check,and it registering, I have only had the buttons disappear a few times.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:31 AM

go to start, help and support. I typed dial up in the search and got alot of things. I would try that. yvwc

Donna
Old 04-25-2004, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I emailed tech support. They advised me I likely don't have enough memory,

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply untrue. Party poker has a problem allocating and releasing memory correctly.

There is nothing you can do short of leaving. I still cannot understand, how a site with so many problems is so popular. There are plenty of fish for the taking, but even that is fading away.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:50 AM

I agree, so tell me where I can find competition as fishy as the competition that I have found at Party?

I mean, the differences between UB and PP are significant IMO. I am a breakeven player at UB, but have been able to grind out a profit at PP, and I think I could be making more money, if I did not have the connectivity issues. Not proud that I can't make a profit at UB, heck, I am a decent player that is still learning, but....I have had to leave tables where I was cleaning up at PP, because of this.

Old 04-25-2004, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, so tell me where I can find competition as fishy as the competition that I have found at Party?

[/ QUOTE ]

No where really. The next best site in terms of "fishiness" would be ultimate bet, followed by paradise poker, and then Pokerstars. Pokerstars, being the least profitable place to play mid-low limit ring games. Their tourneys however get rave reviews.

There are some sites, where you can make a good profit however I would not recommend them because of some server and cashout issues. You have to weigh out the fishiness games vs risk of putting money in there. These sites include, the prima poker network and absolute poker.