Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Some hands at a higher limit table ....

Hand #1:

PokerStars $0.10/$0.25 NLHE. 8 Players.

andre0020 ($13.45) is the button. Dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG and UTG+1 call, MP player raises to $0.75, andre0020 calls, small blind folds, big blind calls, UTG and UTG+1 call.

Flop ($3.85): 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to raiser MP, who bets $2. andre0020 and big blind call.

Turn ($9.85): 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Big blind checks, MP bets $4, andre0020 calls, big blind calls.

River ($21.85): K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Big blind checks, MP bets $6.75, andre0020 folds .....

Hand #2:

PokerStars $0.10/$0.25 NLHE. 9 Players.

andre0020 is big blind, dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

All call except button and small blind.

Flop ($1.85): K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Everyone checks.

Turn ($1.85): 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

andre0020 bets $1.25, folded to last position player (LP) who raises $2.75 to $4. andre0020 calls.

River ($9.85): 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

andre0020 bets $1.50, LP raises $2.45 to $3.95 (all-in), andre0020 calls .....

Hand #3:

PokerStars $0.10/$0.25 NLHE. 8 Players.

andre0020 is button, dealt 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

UTG+1 calls, MP calls, CO calls, andre0020 calls, small blind calls, big blind checks.

Flop ($1.50): 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Everyone checks.

Turn ($1.50): Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to UTG+1 who bets $0.25, MP raises $0.50 to $0.75, CO folds, andre0020 calls, UTG+1 calls.

River ($3.75): Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MP bets $1, andre0020 folds ....
Old 04-22-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Some hands at a higher limit table ....

One critique on the way that you are playing. Its rather weak-tight and you are doing to much calling down.

Hand 1:
The call before the flop is alright seeing that it is a min raise (though I hate QT/KT because its not that good even when you hit besides miracles like AKJ, or AsKsx), but when you hit Top pair weak kicker, you need to see where you stand instead of calling down. It will save you money in the long run...

I would raise the the flop since it seems like a weak bet ie AK, AJ, etc. The problem with this is you have far less than the buyin and any raise that has any merit - 6 or so, is going to pot commit you. Beyond that, if you raised (even min raised) and got played back and had the sb call you then you go into check fold mode.

You have to find out where you stand, if you don't want to raise with the hand then fold. Cause calling down, what are you drawing to? A Ten is a bad card for you..

Hand 2:

Same thing here. Why not push on the Turn if you feel you have the best hand. The reason being you are not going to fold the pot for a few more dollars, push when you think you have the best.

Hand #3:

Did you think you had the best hand at the turn? I doubt that, its time to fold there. If you want to take control of the hand then bet the pot on the flop. Check fold if anyone calls. But thats because you have position and you may be able to steal it.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:55 PM

Don't jump limits yet.

In fact, I wouldn't even play until you've read that first Sklansky book.

I'm serious.

Also, make sure you get "Hold 'Em Poker," not "Hold 'Em for Advanced Players."

Get that second one after you've digested the first.

-Ben
Old 04-22-2004, 02:05 PM

Hand 1: I'd muck pre-flop with no hesitation. You don't want to cold call 3x the big blind with QTs, especially when you're right after the raiser and may have to fold to a reraise. Not sure how'd I play it post-flop, which is a good reason to fold pre-flop - you hit and you're still in an awkward spot.

Hand 2 - I guess I'd raise for the rest of the other guy's chips on the turn. You want to charge 2 pair and set hands to draw out on you. But I don't think it matters much b/c 90% you're chopping with another jack.

Hand 3 - easy fold on the turn. you have basically no outs and with a bet and raise it's very unlikely you have the best hand. and if the initial bettor has trips, he'll reraise and you don't even get to see if you spike your 2-outer (which may or may not be good if you hit).

keep on posting them hands....
Old 04-22-2004, 03:01 PM

I think mucking the QTs to one pre-flop raise is a bit too tight here. If you routinely muck them to ONE raise, I think you're missing out on too many hands that you should be playing.

That's what suited connectors/gappers are for: Take a cheap flop, and if it hits big, take control. It hit him enough that he's safe to bet out here, and he's safe to call at least one (small) raise. Hell, with the top pair and two backdoors (not counting the runner-runner full as well), he's got enough outs and made-hand strength that he can raise to see if he gets re-raised. This is where it comes down to players again. If he's re-raised, he may want to muck, looking at most likely, two pair or an open ender.

Besides, a solid raise here will do two things: Possibly getting rid of our other check-caller (obviously drawing), and likely slow our MP bettor down. Both would be to our advantage, so I'm saying to raise the flop, or bet out initially. The re-raise or raise that may follow will tell you whether to let it go or not, and give you more information. Is he worried about two pair (assuming he has an overpair to the board)? He might call, then fold to a turn bet. Is he not worried about two pair and (re)raises? Muck.

I just think that pre-flop fold is way too tight.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:06 PM

Hand #1 is really a marginal situation that is a judgement call. Calling pre-flop is not all bad, but personally I might consider folding those cards. On the flop it all depends on how well you know your opponent. What kind of hands would he raise with pre-flop? How does he bet on the flop? The fact that he bet about half the pot makes me suspicious. If I were him, and I raised pre-flop with AA,KK,AQ,QQ, or JJ, any of which figure to be the best on this flop, I would let you know right away by betting at least the size of the pot. If there were no possible draws, I might risk letting one card fall off (probably only if I had a set or two pair) for free or cheap. By making a less than pot-sized bet, he may be showing weakness with a hand like AJ,KQ, or KJ, and he's looking to get a feel if his hand is good. He may indeed have a great hand like QQQ or JJJ but be too weak to bet it properly, or he's slowplaying it. It all comes down to judgement. How you play here depends on what you think your opponent might do, so raising might be an option, but just calling for one more card isn't bad either. You have TP with backdoor possibilities.

On the turn you just lost most of your outs. You can not backdoor a flush or a straight. If you river a Q, how do you know it's good? Even if you river a T, is two pair good? On the turn raise or fold are your only options, and based on the size of the pot, all-in would be the only option. However, I would probably fold here. Your opponent showed strength by leading at the flop and the turn, so obviously he's not scared of whatever you have. But most importantly, if you get all-in here you are drawing very slim if you are already behind, so if you were going to raise, the flop would be the place to do it.

On hand #2 I would have checked the river. On the flop you have a one card draw which is really a lousy hand. One card straight draws are not to the nuts, and if you hit, everyone will fold because there are four parts to your hand on board. If anyone calls they either have you tied or beat. On this hand, a player with AJ had you beat on the flop. Even a naked A would beat you if a J fell.

The fact that an opponent raised the turn when the 9 fell pretty much tells me he has a straight, so at best, you are going to split the pot, and at worst, he had AJ for the nut straight. Betting on the river acomplishes nothing but fattening the rake if you split, and screwing you if he indeed has the nuts. I would check call the river. The only time I might bet here were if I were sure my opponent had a straight and a 3rd flush card fell, or the river paired the board. Then I would probably move in trying to knock him off and hopefully not have to split the pot. I am guessing that was the outcome of hand #2 you split the pot, or did he slowplay AJ? However I think your opponent was weak here. Since he was in last position, he probably should have bet with a J hoping to take the hand there. Even if he had AJ, I'm not sure if it's worth a slowplay. He's probably a lock to win, but the wrong cards falling off could lead to a split pot.

Hand #3 played correctly. You have 3rd pair against possible slow played trips. The queen on the turn, and the ensuing action seals the deal. You are way behind with no chance of catching up.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:49 PM

Default RESULTS Re: Some hands at a higher limit table ....

Hand #2

Opponent had J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] so it was a split pot ...