Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2004, 09:17 AM

Default QQ on QJT-flop, multiple opponents, huge pot

No particular reads on the oponents else than they do not seem to be total maniacs, but some are a bit loose + I had earlier taken several tough beats at this table.

Pre-flop 3-bet is natural and attempt to limit the field and buy the button as well and hopefully get one of the EP-callers to fold.

When coordinated flop showed up I was ready for another very expensive tough-beat (not a bad-beat since it likely would be a legit hand).

When board paired on the turn I did not hesitate to cap the flop hoping to be against at least two other straight-draws or made straights.

UTG+1 got royally squished here calling all the way only to fold on river [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Unfortunatetly I run short stack so I could not bet-out as much on river... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. How much would you have betted the river holding second nuts (biggest full house)?

Should I have capped the flop? A made straight could very well allready be out there.

Given the outcome of the show-down, do you think anyone here (MP3) should have folded or is the pot simply to big for folding even if river gets raised, if I had not been all-in? MP3 would have been caught in the middle, possibly facing call again but this time 3 bets if SB had raised my raise. Also possible that SB wouldn't have betted if he didnt see I was going to be all-in and it was merely to make sure MP3 to pay off the partial bet.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (17 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (14.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (30.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls $2.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: 33.12 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 32.37 BB, between MP3, Hero and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (32.37 BB).</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 0.75 BB, between MP3 and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (0.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Jd Jh (full house, jacks full of tens).
MP3 shows Ah Kh (straight, ace high).
Hero shows Qs Qc (full house, queens full of tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 32.37 BB. SB wins 0.75 BB. </font>
Old 04-19-2004, 09:20 AM

Default Re: QQ on QJT-flop, multiple opponents, huge pot

NEVER sit with less than 12BB.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:27 AM

This hand is a perfect example of why you need to have an ample stack. You missed at least 2 more BB's on the river here by not being able to raise, not to mention the poor fellas with J's full probably would have 3 bet you.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:07 AM

Ok, point taken about not playing with less than 12BB. I will try to monitor that in the future. (*)

What about the flop, cap or just settle with 3-bets?

If not being all-in, how much do you bet out on the river in this case if only fear is the quads?

(*) At this table, I made several good hands, but they always turned out to be 2:nd best, hence the stack dropped quick.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:12 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

You can't settle for less than 4 bets on the river because you fear quads. Cap the flop, cap the turn, and if you had enough money, you should've capped the river.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:32 AM

Lesson to learn here...make sure you have enough to cover CAPS on all streets.

You left money at the table on this one.

I'd also probably cap the flop given the texture of the board and that SB is being a calling station the whole hand.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:32 AM

Ouch. That river gets capped 3 ways. You missed 6 BBs. It's a shame UTG+1 missed his flush.