Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2004, 07:49 PM

Default Did I play my JJ wrong here?

Live $60 buy in weekly NL tourney. I get there late and am an alternate which means I start playing at the end of the rebuy period with TC1000. I don't like this and won't do it again. Be on time next time!

Blinds are 50-100 and I post my blinds and muck everything. I am then moved to a new table and am deallt my first hand from the CO.

Pocket Jacks.

One raiser to 300 who has about TC2500. Folded to me.

I don't know this guy, he doesn't know me. I have TC850.
Do I call or reraise here?

I reraised to 600, folded to him and he calls. (Did I raise too much given my stack? Do I push here?)

Flop is three unsuited rags. He asks how much I have then bets the 250. I call. (?Bad call?-- my plan was to fold if an overcard came on the flop)

He turns over AQo and of course hits one of his six outs on the turn to knock me out. I played one hand in this tourney. How would you have played it differently? or is this just another lucky bad beat?

Thanks

Old 04-05-2004, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Did I play my JJ wrong here?

If your plan was to fold if an overcard came on the flop, then why wouldn't you just call preflop and get to make that decision more cheaply? As it is, you're pretty much pot-committed on the flop no matter what (maybe if it comes A-K-Q you can get away from it).

If you're going to raise preflop, you have to push here.

I think a smooth call before the flop would be correct. If you like the flop, you can push and probably win it right there (or make it a big mistake for two overcards or some other draw to call); if you don't, you can fold and still have a playable stack.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:16 AM

You're down to 8.5xBB. Even if everybody folded to you, your only decision here, about 98% of the time, is between folding and going all-in. With the raise to T300, that is your decision 100% of the time.

And given this is one player raising, and you've got JJ, I strongly urge all-in over folding.

Also, you don't EVER put in 70% of your stack preflop and then fold on the flop. You might see an exception to this about once every 10 years or so.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 04-05-2004, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, you don't EVER put in 70% of your stack preflop and then fold on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just seen a magnificent move in a 33$ SNG:

Blinds 15/30. Folded to button (3300) who raises to 1800 (!). SB (1880) think and thinks and then calls. He has 80 chips left. This can happen on-line, you don't bother raising the extra few chips. BB folds.

So they see a flop: AKT. Pot: 3630. SB has 80. Button has 1500.

Now, SB starts to think. I know he's thinking, because usually until that hand he was acting pretty fast. So, he thinks and thinks, and then bets 30! Button think and thinks, and raises all-in! SB thinks and thinks and calls 50 more!

SB has KJ. Button has JJ. SB takes it down.

Poker can be very amuzing.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:38 PM

First of all, as you say, don't be an alternate in this tournament. Starting with just 10x the BB is just silly. You had no opportunity to rebuy or add-on as you sat down? Ugh.

That aside, once you are there with 10x the BB or less, you have 2 moves: all-in and fold. If it's folded to you in MP or LP, you should be pushing with any pair, any ace, and maybe a few other hands as well. JJ is certainly a hand you are thrilled to get all-in with. Your preflop raise should have been all-in, and it isn't close.