Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2004, 08:56 AM

Default How many raises are allowed?

Last night in a Pokerstars tourney, I raised to 600 from early position with AA(blinds 100/200). Player B who was short stacked re-raised all-in to 985(not sure about this exact amount). Player C called and it was back to me.

I wanted to raise again to get Player C to either drop or pay big to see the flop but I was only given the option to call or fold, not raise. Needless to say, player C had wired fives and hit the set and crippled me but that's really beside the point.

I just want to know what the rule is and why I wasn't allowed to throw in another raise pre-flop. Can anyone help me with this rule?
Old 04-06-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Re: How many raises are allowed?

This is only a guess, but you raised 400 (from 200 to 600) and shortstack raised only 385 (from 600 to 985). So, I'm guessing Stars only allows the betting to reopen if he makes a full raise (to 1000 here). I know some rooms will consider it a full bet if it's half the full amount.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:25 PM

In NL or PL, just forget about "half a bet". There's no such thing because there's no fixed size of a bet. The "half a bet" concept applies only in limit poker.

The rule in NL and PL is this:

1. If nobody has bet on this betting round, the minimum bet is the size of the big blind.

2. If somebody has bet or raised and you wish to raise or reraise, the amount by which you raise must be equal to or greater than the amount of the previous bet or raise.

3. The exception to the previous two rules, of course, is if you don't enough chips for the minimum bet/raise, in which case you can make a short bet/raise by going all-in.

4. A short bet (or short raise) does not reopen the action. In other words, if a player on your right makes a short bet (or short raise), you may raise if and only if you would have been allowed to raise had the all-in player merely checked or called.

In the following examples, assume the big blind is 100, it is now the turn, the pot is four-handed, and I am first to act.

Example 1. I check, P2 checks, P3 goes all-in for 80, P4 calls 80. Now I may fold or call 80, but not raise.

Example 2. I check, P2 checks, P3 goes all-in for 80, P4 raises to 300. Now I may fold, call, or raise. Here I am allowed to raise because P4 reopened the action.

Example 3. I check, P2 bets 400, P3 folds, P4 raises all-in to 500. Now I may fold, call, or raise. P2's bet opened the door for me to raise, and P4's short-raise does not deprive me of my right to raise.

Example 4. I bet 300, P2 raises all-in to 500, P3 folds, P4 calls 500. Now I may fold or call 200, but not raise.

Example 5. I bet 300, P2 raises all-in to 600, P3 folds, P4 calls 600. Now I may fold, call, or raise. Here I am allowed to raise because P2 had enough for a full raise which reopens the action.

For further explanation and references to Bob Ciaffone's rules and Tournament Directors Association rules, see these posts by J.R. in the Beginners Questions forum.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last night in a Pokerstars tourney, I raised to 600 from early position with AA(blinds 100/200). Player B who was short stacked re-raised all-in to 985(not sure about this exact amount). Player C called and it was back to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
The amount of your raise was 400. If Player B had lots of chips and wished to raise, he would have to raise by a minimum of 400 (i.e. raise to a minimum of 1000). Since Player B didn't have 1000, his raise to 985 was a short-raise and did not reopen the action. Player C could have raised but chose not to. When the action got back to you, nobody had reopened the action since you acted. Therefore your only options were to fold or call 385.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:34 PM

Ah my mistake on the 'half a bet'. Thanks for clarifying MBE.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:56 PM

Note that for the reasons MBE explained, in situations like this experienced players will often raise to something like 590 (raise 390) rather than 600, specifically so that if the short player goes all-in w/ 985, his raise of 395 is a legit raise that re-opens the action. If the guy in the middle calls, you can then re-raise big.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:21 PM

I'm a so-called experienced player but never thought of doing this. What a great tip. I will definitely keep this in mind if the occasion ever arises again.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the great advice!