Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2004, 06:49 AM

Default The Upcard Three in Baseball Poker

If you are dealt an upcard three in Baseball Poker you have to match the pot or drop (or match a fixed amount or drop).

What I need to know is if your upcard three is the lowest card on third street and you are playing with a low card bring-in then does the three become the bring-in? Intuitively, I would say yes but then I have never played baseball poker.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:39 AM

Default Re: The Upcard Three in Baseball Poker

I've never heard of a low card bring-in in baseball. In fact, I've never heard of a high card bring-in. Bring-ins are essentially created to stimulate action. Stimulating action is not a problem among the baseball afficianodos.

Usually high board acts first. On third street, eldest wild card or ace has the first option to check or bet.

Option for threes: black threes are wild and donate to the pot; red three strike out and kill the hand.

Also, if your are going to introduce baseball to your home game, try playing it as 5-card stud-- a much better game in my opinion. Some 5-card baseball fans insist that fours give the player a face-up card, but it can be played either way.

Mack

PS Did you find any more information about the existence of "Monty"?
Old 03-24-2004, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stimulating action is not a problem among the baseball afficianodos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mack - LOL. That's my experience too.

Buzz
Old 03-25-2004, 09:30 AM

Way back in high school when I played wild games like Baseball, Follow the Queen, etc., we always played the action started with the high card who was free to check.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:52 AM

Default James Montgomery

Dear Phat Mack,

I emailed Indiana State Library and asked for verification of the existence of one James 'Monty' Montgomery. A librarian replied quoting a local history which mentioned that Yardley was often found 'in a saloon called Monty's Place'.

I was asked to enquire again if I had further queries but I felt that Monty's existence had been satisfactorily proved as the material quoted mentioned two characters that are not found in the aforementioned poker classic as well as a bunch of other incidental details.

Yours,

Al Mirpuri.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Re: James Montgomery

Excellent. Thank you.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually high board acts first. On third street, eldest wild card or ace has the first option to check or bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you determine the eldest wild card or Ace? If no wild cards then the eldest Ace by suit would be first to act but what if there are several wild cards on the first round? Would wild card 'Aces' be given preference over natural Aces and amongst the wild card 'Aces' which would be asked to act first, the one nearest dealer's left?
Old 03-27-2004, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you determine the eldest wild card or Ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

Al - First one to the left of the dealer.

[ QUOTE ]
Would wild card 'Aces' be given preference over natural Aces and amongst the wild card 'Aces' which would be asked to act first, the one nearest dealer's left?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually a question that comes up during play. Usually these details are not considered beforehand (although maybe they should be).

I've seen this particular question decided a couple of different ways. I think your group has to decide for itself (either by democratic vote or by the toughest, meanest individual, however you decide these things in your group) and either ahead of time or if it's ever an issue.

Although the question does occasionally come up, usually it's not a point of contention among baseball afficianados.

That's because someone is happy to bet, whether it's his/her turn or not.

Buzz