Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2004, 06:21 PM

Default tougher games lately?

Does anyone else out there think that games have gotten a little tougher in the last few years? Particulary hold'em games. There are more games out there now, but people seem a bit more educated about poker now. And even the ones who aren't seem pretty aggressive and wild (not the kind of games I prefer). Think it has anything to do with that movie Rounders, the televising of poker events, and the wider distribution of poker literature? Is this good or bad?
Old 04-13-2004, 08:01 PM

Default Re: tougher games lately?

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else out there think that games have gotten a little tougher in the last few years? Particulary hold'em games. There are more games out there now, but people seem a bit more educated about poker now. And even the ones who aren't seem pretty aggressive and wild (not the kind of games I prefer). Think it has anything to do with that movie Rounders, the televising of poker events, and the wider distribution of poker literature? Is this good or bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found the exact opposite. I find the games easier then ever before.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:24 AM

I think the games keep getting easier, and honestly find that the easiest games seem to come in waves, usually corresponding to when I see Party do a new advertising campaign. For example, I have had an absolutely great week so far -- much worse competition than I have ever seen since I switched up to 2/4 -- and I also noticed that Party ran television ads during MLB games last week. Anyone notice this?
Old 04-14-2004, 01:13 AM

not sure what mlb games you are referring to but i watch a lot of baseball and havent seen any.
i am guessing they are just running their ads in selected markets.

local cable companies sell ads that can run in national espn broadcasts but are only seen in their market (obviously)....or on the local channel that carries the games.
looks like party may be doing a lot of this of recent.

i think the english-radio flagship for the dodgers ix XTRA which is out of mexico with a really strong signal.
party should be able to advertise during the dodgers radio games all they like (assuming the dodgers don't object).

wonder as well what kind of advertising they do in canada (toronto is a big sports town....vancouver would be worth it as well i suspect)
Old 04-14-2004, 04:57 AM

not sure if the advertising has anything to do with it...but i;ve run into more play-anything-to-the-river maniacs tonight than i have in the past week and a half.

i've also hit some better flops, and i think played better quality poker to finally end a legthy losing skid.

hoo-ray for fish....
keep up the advertising party. i'm counting on you!!!
Old 04-14-2004, 05:26 AM

Maybe all the bad players in your games decided to head over to party poker. That's the best explanation I can give.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:17 AM

They are the same and typical. Everybody THINKS Party is a loose place to play but in reality Party is typical with 39% flops. Not loose at all.

Sure - loose compared to people that actually read about the game but in the scheme of things....normal.

There are MUCH MUCH looser sites with REAL fish.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are the same and typical. Everybody THINKS Party is a loose place to play but in reality Party is typical with 39% flops. Not loose at all.

Sure - loose compared to people that actually read about the game but in the scheme of things ....normal.

There are MUCH MUCH looser sites with REAL fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the scheme of things include Ultimate Bet and Poker Stars? Because those sites are noticeably tighter than Party Poker.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:17 PM

MG is right, these East Coast games are the softest Ive seen in years, maybe ever. I can't remember before the Borgata the last time I saw a loose passive 10-20 game.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:42 AM

Poker Stars and UB AND Pokertropulas are anomolies. I can not see why anybody plays there. Hard to find tables with 30% flops.

Pokertropulas ias .5/1 tables that are less then 30% flops!!!