Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2004, 03:45 PM

Default Bluff raising the river. How\'d I do? How\'d my opponent do?

Party 3/6

I have K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button. Folded to me, I raise. BB 3-bets, I call.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets, I call.

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, I call.

River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, I raise...

Results in white: <font color="white">BB called with AJo </font>

Old 03-11-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Bluff raising the river. How\'d I do? How\'d my opponent do?

[ QUOTE ]
Party 3/6

I have K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button. Folded to me, I raise. BB 3-bets, I call.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets, I call.

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, I call.

River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, I raise...

Results in white: <font color="white">BB called with AJo </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a credible bluff. Not a huge pot. He can and should call with ace high here. You're spewing chips.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Bluff raising the river. How\'d I do? How\'d my opponent do?

I don't like the bluff much. You're going to have a tough time representing a 3 here when the BB considers that you raised preflop. You might have JT or a set, but if this guy is a typical Party 3/6er he will be tough to knock off almost any hand that he would 3 bet preflop (even as a defense).

Also, as Nate said, the pot is not very big, so when you consider that you have to put in 2 big bets to bluff and the likelihood that your opponent will call, I really don't like your odds.

Luke
Old 03-11-2004, 05:32 PM

Default MY thoughts on the hand

Thanks. On the turn I was planning on bluffing the river no matter what hit, but I think the 3 falling on the river killed my chances of the bluff working, because of course that looks like what im "representing." Then his decision to call is about whether or not a I have 3, which does make it an easy call. Had blank fallen I think I would have had a better chance.

I obviously didnt expect him to fold an overpair, I was pretty much hoping for him to fold a big Ace.

You both mentioned that the pot was too small to try to steal. But the pot being so small should give my opponent an easier time folding, no?

Also what do you think of my opponents river bet? Was he hoping to get called by a worse hand? He must not have thought he was bluffing, because he called the raise...
Old 03-11-2004, 05:59 PM

Default Re: MY thoughts on the hand

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. On the turn I was planning on bluffing the river no matter what hit, but I think the 3 falling on the river killed my chances of the bluff working, because of course that looks like what im "representing." Then his decision to call is about whether or not a I have 3, which does make it an easy call. Had blank fallen I think I would have had a better chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about bluffing the turn instead when you pick up those straight outs? Yeah, the natural inclination is to take the free card, but you'll win the pot right there occasionally. On the other hand, if he's determined to call you down, you only have to put a bet in on the river when you're ahead.

[ QUOTE ]
You both mentioned that the pot was too small to try to steal. But the pot being so small should give my opponent an easier time folding, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

The trouble is that the pot is bigger when it gets back around to him since you've pumped it up with your bluff. You're investing 2 BB for the chance to win 7 BB; he's investing 1 BB for the chance to win 9 BB. The larger the pot (you can do the math here yourself), the lesser the discrepancy between the odds that you're getting on your bluff and the odds that he's getting on his call.

[ QUOTE ]
Also what do you think of my opponents river bet? Was he hoping to get called by a worse hand? He must not have thought he was bluffing, because he called the raise...

[/ QUOTE ]

He made a pretty good read. You open raised from the Button and then just called his 3-bet. Your hand SCREAMS random unsuited overcards or Ace-rag. Yes, the 'standard' play is to check in an attempt to induce a bluff, but against a stubborn opponent who is likely to call down A- or K-high (or, better yet, is just as likely to bluff if bet into than checked to), he has a value bet.