Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Am I just an idiot?

The situation is that I can't win anymore. Two possibilities:

1) I am getting unlucky

2) I am just an idiot.

In the spirit of trying to find out, here's a hand. I'll include the results here because I've already given away the fact that I lost the pot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pokerstars 25-50c NLHE. I have $66 and pocket 8s on the button.

EP player makes it $2. Two call. I call. SB folds, BB calls. Flop:

J 8 3, two clubs.

Checked round, player to my right bets $2, I raise the pot, $12 more. A few fold, including the preflop raiser. A player in the middle insta-calls. He has a huge stack (> $200) but has been throwing money away for the last 40 minutes. I wasn't at the table to see how he got his big stack. Bettor folds.

Turn: offsuit 7. Well, perhaps he just hit his nine-ten draw. He checks. I bet $20 and get raised $20 more. Sure looks like he hit his draw! But who knows, it could be two pair, or a set of 3s, or quite a few other things I beat, and I'm getting 5 to 1. Perhaps I should move in my last $10, but I chose just to call.

River is an offsuit 6. He sets me in, I call, and he does indeed have the T9.

How would those of you that can actually win at this game have played it?

At this point I started thinking those tilty thoughts we all have from time to time and wisely stood up.

Sorry if this comes over as a bad beat. I don't think it is: I think it's an ordinary hand, and I think I'd probably play it very similarly again, but I also don't think I'm thinking straight. Help!

Guy.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Am I just an idiot?

Guy,

I have played a few hours at the table and have concluded that you are unlucky. I have also concluded that you bring bad luck to those around you. I recall a night where you and I both lost several buyins to a moron who has yet to return to the tables with our money.

Whether or not you are an idiot is up for grabs. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Either way in this hand I like the way you played it until the turn. When he raises you only a rock HAS to have you beat. He could be slowplaying an AJ or semi-bluffing a hand like J9. Put the rest in now since you're going to call the river anyway.

The only other option you have is to overbet the flop since there are lots of draws out there. But on stars you don't really want to kill your action in these already tight games.

Old 03-11-2004, 03:05 PM

Hey aces.

Thanks for the reply!

I twigged that I should certainly have pushed in on the turn just after I hit the "submit" button. I might be in front, and if not, the all-in is betting 30 to win 110, which is better than my odds of filling up, just. Of course I don't mind losing to a set of jacks in this situation. Well, I do mind, but I chalk it up to cold decking and get on with my life.

Thanks again. Hoping for more replies, of course!

Guy.

Old 03-11-2004, 04:11 PM

Default you\'re playing on-line aren\'t you?

Old 03-11-2004, 04:15 PM

Default Re: you\'re playing on-line aren\'t you?

Hey, its thursday. Only two more days til bath night. . .

And you thought the reason people near you kept requesting seat changes had to do with position.

Old 03-11-2004, 04:19 PM

Default Re: you\'re playing on-line aren\'t you?

Limon, perhaps you could explain why you don't like online poker, or refer me to a post of yours where you've already explained this.

danny
Old 03-11-2004, 04:20 PM

I agree the turn is the place to get all-in. Over-betting the pot on the flop is OK by me too, especially in idiotville (aka party). You said stars tho... but it ain't much different how you should have played it.

al
Old 03-11-2004, 05:56 PM

Default here it is...

a dude to my left several weekes ago was checking his hole cards in such a way that i could always seee the top card reflected off the rack his chips were in.

on tuesday the player to my immediate right gave an almost imperceptable upturn of the palm before grabbing his chips when making bluff/semibluff. i re-bluffed him out of two pots and folded top 2 pair to a power move of his with no-tell (he showed a straight).

the host and a rich guy bought drinks for the table. the game was so loud it had a gallery. after it started to die down i said, "let me buy another round". (the urinal drank 2 of my beers)

the ex host who is now a mortgage broker got me 5.5% on my refinance.

a hooker propositioned a guy w/13k right at the table.

a big fat armenian guy choked on his gross at the table meal, had food coming out of his nose and still berated the dealer for dealing him out.

a friend of mine told people im on drugs most of the time

need more?
Old 03-11-2004, 06:05 PM

well i win at this game, and i would have lost my whole pile on this hand too.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: here it is...

nice post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]