Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2004, 08:46 AM

Default 2 suspect all-in calls

Party 100 NL- I've got about the buyin in both cases, and my opponents have me covered.

Hand 1. I'm in the SB with JT [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Loose LP makes it 5, folded to me. Normally I probably fold this (don't play draws out of position, I know), but I called this time. BB folds.

Flop: 754 2 hearts. Lets presume he's gonna bet no matter what he has.

Question time: should I just call his assumed bet, take one off, and be done with it if I don't hit my (hopefully) 15 outs? If I checkraise, how much? If he calls and I don't hit, then what? If he bets, anyone just shove in in response?

So: I check, he bets 10, I checkraise to 30, he goes all-in.

Now what? Calling vs a set is -EV, worse against a bigger heart draw, but +EV against everything else.

I call. Results in white: <font color="white"> He has A6, and he wins the coin flip. Rats. </font>

Hand 2:

I'm less happy about this one. JJ (no clubs) UTG. I make it 8, 3 callers. Flop: 976 2 clubs. I've got an overpair, but the board is kinda coordinated. I bet out 25, one of the LP callers quickly goes all-in. Folded to me.

Question: call or not? Looks like an easy fold to a set, but Party players looooove to slowplay their sets (or at least think about it, and he moved in quickly), and in my experience the bad guys usually don't have sets here.

This time, I'm calling $75 vs $165 or so, which means calling is obviously bad against str8s, sets and overpairs (i'd expect a raise from most folks with AA/KK preflop- he could have QQ, I guess), and slightly -EV against 2 pair. By contrast, its good to call against TT, A9, pair + flush draw, pair + str8 draw, etc..

So, again I call. Results again in white. <font color="white"> he has 76 for bottom 2, which holds up. Well, at least the theory about no sets still holds true... </font>

Best of luck to all,

-muz
Old 02-25-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Re: 2 suspect all-in calls

Hand 1

I fold this 99.9 % of the time out of position. I might play it if its a huge multi-way pot, and hope to flop a monster. I think you could wait for a better oppotunity.

Hand 2
This is a typical hand where your read on the player is going to hlp make this right/wrong decision.
He bet and went allin on your checkraise, so I'm thinking that hes not scared of an overpair. Looks like your a dog, and laying down might be hard, however the best decision.

WJ