Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2004, 12:29 AM

Default Bad turn play??

$50NL Party table, I'm in late position (LP). No raises. 5-way after flop (2 blinds, 3 limpers), I have AJo, flop TJx, MP bets $4, I raise to $8, only EP & bettor call. I put EP on some draw. I don't know these guys. Turn A, check to me, I bet $10 into $28 pot. I’m thinking this makes the KQ draw, perhaps I should check to get a free try to fill, but I decide to bet, afraid to give a free card which could be a Q or K, and also, his draw might have been 89 or Q9. EP raises to $25, I think & feel he got there, so I fold. Mistake to bet turn?? Mistake to fold turn??
Old 02-24-2004, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Bad turn play??

i think your first mistake was calling preflop. i don't want to play AJo in a multiway pot; raising to try and win it now or set up a steal on the flop, or mucking, are both better in my book.

if you believe your hand is good on the flop it is critical to bet more than that. you're just letting the draws pick you off. if you don't feel good enough about your hand here to raise, don't limp with AJo.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:49 AM

Tinker,

I think you made 2 mistakes here, betting too weakly on the turn, and folding to the raise. Personally, I hate the turn bet of $10 into a $28 pot. If I were at your table I would probably raise you, because this bet looks weak. I don't like to bet less than 1/2 the pot unless it is a value bet.

The only hands that beats you here is a set or KQ. I would be willing to take my chances and I would have re-raised all-in to his turn raise. He could easily be making this play with AK or AQ, AT or even KJ, (because he sensed weakness due to your weak bet). I think that you are ahead more often than not here. But this is newbie advice so if other people disagree with me, listen to their advice [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sly
Old 02-24-2004, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The only hands that beats you here is a set or KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, the hands I put EP on (assuming a 1/2 decent player) were 98, KQ, or a slowplayed set. There's an outside chance he has AT or Ax, but given the possibilities I'd fold here too.

As for betting the turn, that's a tough one. There aren't many times that you could stop me from betting top two pair, but this is one time I'd certainly think about it. The more flush draws that are present, the more likely I'd be to bet. If the turn created another flush draw, I might be more likely to call the check-raise. It all depends on my impression of the raiser and what cards are making up the flush draw.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:59 PM

tinker,

betting and checking are both right depending on your intent. key is were you committed to going all-in with the hand? since your answer was no, best to check the turn. as played you put in 20% of your chips when you're only comfortable if everyone folds. give the free card.

if you were committed you should bet more.

matt