Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2004, 02:25 PM

Default A Troublesome Hand

This hand was troublesome because it had the single biggest pot I've ever seen at these stakes. I thought I was doing great until the river.

The table was $0.50/$1. There were 8 people at the table, I was sitting at MP1. The players were loose and aggressive. There were two 'strong' players at the table (EP1 & CO). The betting pre-flop and on the flop was much less aggressive than had been normal.

Hero is at EP2 and is dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG limps, EP1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, EP1 bets, Hero calls, CO calls, Button Calls; SB calls, BB calls, UTG folds.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, EP1 bets, Hero Raises, CO folds, Button re-raises, SB calls, BB folds, EP1 caps, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls.

River: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

EP1 bets, Hero raises, Button calls, SB re-raises, EP1 calls, Hero caps, Button calls, SB calls, EP1 calls.

Board has: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Pot has: $37.50

I'll post the showdown later [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In retrospect, I should have raised the flop, and, I totally mis-played the river...I got tunnel vision.

I'm a newb, tell what you'd have done (and why) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Spyder
aka Arachnyd at Party Poker

Old 02-29-2004, 09:01 AM

Default Re: A Troublesome Hand

On the flop, against this board, you have to bet, raise, check/raise or whatever to drive out as many players as possible and to make the drawer's pay. Look at some of the possible holdings of players that would limp in this situation. Ax,AQo,ATo,Kx,KTo,K9s,QTo,T9 these are all hands that are going to stay in with this flop. Your only real outs are the last J and A's.

Turn: When the K hits, I think it is time to go into check/call mode unless you hit the J or A on the river.

River: Hard to fold a full house, so I would want to see a showdown for as cheap as I could get it. I wouldn't expect to win it here.

Edited to add. I think these posts should be in the micro limit forum.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:18 AM

Why don't you use bisonbison's hand converter? It's actually easier to evaluate the hand when you use that than when you type it out, as it gives the pot size and number of players on every street. It saves a lot of effort for you as well.

I would have raised the flop - if they were gonna call one bet, they'll probably call two, you really want to milk this.

You played the turn OK, but with all that action, you should consider that EP1 might have KJ or QJ, as he limped in and hasn't missed an opportunity to bet/raise.

Given the river, it's extremely likely that you're beaten, after the SB wakes up and 3-bets, I would have made the crying fold (not that I would have put in the first raise, I would have called one bet, and one raise, and folded to any more).

EDIT: Just read rayrns post and I agree with him that you will get more replies in the Micro-Limits forum.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:44 PM

Final showdown was Two kings full boats, one straight, and my jacks full boat.

I got tunnel vision at the end not even taking into consideration kings full boat.

I DO recognize that on the River I should have gone into check/call mode. It still would not have been cheap, but, at least I wouldn't have been jacking it up with a loser [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks for the responses [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Spyder