Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2004, 11:04 PM

Default Terminology question

I under stand tight vs loose, both as a playing style and as a table characteristic. I believe passive as applied to a table means very little raising, either preflop or postflop. (I understand that tables can be different combinations of tight, loose, passive, and aggressive, pre and post flop). My question is about "aggressive" as applied to a table. I know it means there is a lot of raising. But what is "a lot"? If most people are raising/reraising with AA-JJ, for example, is this considered aggressive or typical? At a passive table, would people rarely raise with anything?

BTW, I know that a loose-passive table is supposed to be the best, But I feel like I do better at loose, slightly aggressive tables. I can get a better idea of what people have, and when I do get a good hand I can make more money with it. Am I a freak?
Old 02-19-2004, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Terminology question

If most people are raising/reraising with AA-JJ, for example, is this considered aggressive or typical?

Typical.

I consider games where the hand gets capped or three bet with marginal calls an aggressive game. Games that feature players who will raise with marginal hands I would call aggressive.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is about "aggressive" as applied to a table. I know it means there is a lot of raising. But what is "a lot"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. I've been wondering the same thing. Raising with just big pocket pairs definitely isn't "a lot" IMO.

I think that if you're making the right adjustments, then the table cannot be "too passive." However, you will possibly get more frustrated than usual due to being drawn out on. If you don't tolerate that well, maybe a table where people are giving you more information and less money would be better [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

I haven't really answered the question but let me try to amplify it:

What percentage of hands being raised before the flop qualifies as 1) very aggressive 2) moderately aggressive 3) typical 4) passive 5) very passive as these terms are being used in the forums?

FWIW, here are my wild guesses: 1) raise%>50% 2) 50%>raise%>35% 3) 35%>raise%>20% 4) 20%>raise%>10% 5) raise%<10%

Maybe this calls for a question calls for a poll?

Old 02-19-2004, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. uuDevil, I think your answer agrees with MG's, cause to get the higer percentages you suggest, there would have to be people rasies with some pretty marginal hands. It makes sense to me, but I wanted to make sure others are using the terms the same way I would. A poll would be cool, too.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:45 PM

I like MG's answer. I may be too fixated on numbers. A poll would be good, but probably best on another forum (micro, ss, or internet), where more people would see it. If I don't see you (or anyone else) having done this, I'll probably do it myself sooner or later....