Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2004, 04:07 PM

Default Hand from LA Poker Classic limit holdem

This hand took place late Saturday night when we were making our way towards the final 27 players who had to come back Sunday morning. All the players involved had pretty decent stacks, so normal limit holdem principles apply rather than tourney ones I think.

A loose player who always raises first in raises it from mid pos. I have seen him raise A5o and K8s utg, and he will even play some hands worse than these I think. A solid player cold calls directly behind him (last time he did this he had AJo). I 3 bet from the big blind. The flop comes AhTh4h. I bet, the loose goose folds, the decent player calls. Turn is the Qs, check-check. The 7d comes on the river, I check and he bets. What is the worst hand you call with?
Old 02-11-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Hand from LA Poker Classic limit holdem

I'd call with any hand i would threebet preflop with.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:29 PM

Although I would fold jacks.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:36 AM

If I have any pair, I'm calling for one big bet. I'm thinking he may try to pick up this sizable pot with KQs. You may also check-raise with no pair to pick up this pot.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:04 AM

hi pal
you must bet the turn to stop this opponent from bluffing. you have JJ. that's a good minimum.

even though you're doouble over-carded, as long as you are applying the betting pressure heads up, you must bet the turn to stop your opponent from bluffing the river. you'll also get a free show-down by betting the turn. you might get a stronger hand to fold.

if he raises, you can safely fold. if he bets the river after calling the turn, you can safely fold. there aren't many hands out there that you can beat, but the possibility does exist of 99 or 88 and a few other surprising type hands that combined with your outs make betting correct on the turn. i'm assuming you have JJ here, what i summize is the minimum hand.

to call a river bet after playing the turn correctly? i'd go KK on that board. there aren't many other hands that can be considered. calling after playing the turn like you did? KQ; now you hope he has QJs or JJ and lower pairs. you'd make the call for other reasons than just pot odds though. i don't think you're getting pot odds, but making a tough call to show grit is often advantageous. and you are not losing that much on the call.