Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Poker Coach?

I read and re-read all the right books. I play as much as I can, which is probably not enough. I review my play and try to learn from my mistakes and I seriously think I am getting better, but I am not what I consider a "good" hold 'em player. I do think that I have the potential to be a good player.

I am not looking to become a professional. This game is strictly a hobby and will not become "my life". But I like to be really good at everything that I choose to do.

I am thinking that I really need someone to review my play to see things that I don't see and to teach me things I don't know. Are there things such as poker coaches? Is it realistic for a relatively low limit player to employ a coach? How would I find a coach who would really help me and not just take my money. Would this be worthwhile?
Old 02-13-2004, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Poker Coach?

this sight is your coach. post some hands in the micr limit forum.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:29 PM

Yes, there poker coaches, but unless you're a high limit player, you probably don't want to afford one.

As previously mentioned, you've found a whole room full of coaches here. Go to the appropriate forum (tourney, no limit, micro-stakes, low-stakes etc) and post hands that are giving you fits.

If your posts are in the right forum and are understandable, you'll usually get plenty of opinions on critique of your play and other ways to play the hand.

The opnions could vary from "Just the way I would have played it" to "You couldn't have played the hand worse" and will usually get specific reasons why the author felt that way. You could get opinions that vary from one extreme to the other on the same hand!

Your job will be to sort through and evaluate the advice (even the ones you don't agree with) and ask follow up questions if you don't understand why they said what they said. (This kind of back and forth helps the author as much as the "student" as it forces both parties to think about what's being discussed.)

Eventually you'll find a few "teachers" who you "trust" and your learning will go much faster. But always consider what is being said, and think about how it will apply to your game before rushing a new strategy into play.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:19 AM

Bob Ciaffone, coauthor of "Middle Limit Holdem Poker", provides coaching at very reasonable rates. His e-mail is thecoach@chartermi.net.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:56 AM

I provide poker coaching for online Texas Hold'em poker, and it is free. Please visit my website www.onlinepokercoach.com to learn more.

I hope to hear from you.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:12 AM

Hah what a joke, your "coaching" is just a stupid attempt at affiliate spamming.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:58 AM

Hi Vehn:

I had the exact same reaction.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-15-2004, 02:16 PM

Dear Mason,

I only put my website address in my original message because the original poster had expressed interest in poker coaching. If I have broken forum rules, I apologize. I will remember not to do it again.

Regarding my coaching services, I do not think that you have to be a world class poker theorist in order to be able to provide useful advice or coaching to other players, especially if they are new to poker. In fact, any player that wins $20 or $30 per hour playing poker can probably help new players. I have actually received very positive feedback regarding my coaching services from players that have signed up.

Incidentally, some twoplustwo books are always recommended!

Best regards,
OPC
Old 02-15-2004, 11:17 PM

Of course you recommend Two Plus Two books. If you didn't, you wouldn't be able to have any credibility. But when I took a quick look at your site..., well what else needs to be said.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-16-2004, 04:31 AM

unless you plan on playing very good opponents, you are better off using the resources at 2+2, which are free, than paying $100 an hour to a professional. when you've learned all you can from the very knowledgeable posters here, it may become worth your while to talk to david sklansky or bob ciaffone to help become a true expert. but that is probably awhile away, unless you are a much better player than you implied.

another advantage: many hands are controversial and it helps to have multiple perspectives on how to play them. it's a lot easier to get multiple perspectives from more than one person.