Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2004, 09:11 AM

Default So this is how it feels to be at the final table

I don't play that many multi tourneys, but finally, when doing some practice for the ZOO vs SS match, I got to the final table in a Party NL multi (no biggie, $5+1, but a large field, 1000+, finished 6th for $218).

Since hundreds and hundreds of people reach the final table at multis every day this is nothing to brag about, I just want to get some feedback from more experienced multi tourney players here.

How did you do the first time you got to a final table? For me the price money was rather small (for all but 1st), but nevertheless, the excitement level was quite high just beeing there. I feel that I could have played much better if I just had cooled down a bit.

What's it like the second time? The third? When do you get used to it? How about playing for higher price money, does your play hurt because of that? Etc.

Adde
Old 01-30-2004, 09:15 AM

Default Re: So this is how it feels to be at the final table

First, Congratulations. A very nice accomplishment. My first final table was only a few months ago...felt great. Since then I have had a few more and 2 multi wins. The feeling doesn't change much...elation [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2004, 09:24 AM

Thank you, Stage!

So basically you're saying, if I want to be there again I should try to get used to it rather than trying to "fight" it? Do you feel the same at each final table, regardless of the amount of money involved?
Old 01-30-2004, 12:05 PM

congrats! ive never made it to a final table in a big multi. ive made it to the money on a couple though. do you mind if i ask what place you came in and what the payouts where?
Old 01-30-2004, 12:17 PM

congrats! ive never made it to a final table in a big multi. ive made it to the money on a couple though. do you mind if i ask what place you came in and what the payouts where?

Thanks! I came in 6th and got $218. 1st got $1000. I've been in the money three times before, so hopefully you'll be at the final table soon too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2004, 12:20 PM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC

nice job!!!!!!! i could relate it to getting laid. the first time, OMG is this really happening, i am nervous am i doing okay is this right, 2nd time, okay i have done this before and dang this feels great, but still some nerves and questions. third time, i want to do this every waking second for the rest of my life, still some nerves but the confidence is building. fast forward a bit, each score, been here before and this is great, just like riding a bike, but getting on the bike is a rush, making the final table is always a thrill as is getting laid. practice makes perfect.

as for moving up in stakes, just substitute the heffer you have been banging for a playboy model and voila, same process again.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:28 PM

...making the final table is always a thrill as is getting laid. practice makes perfect.

Thanks morgant, exactly what I like to hear from someone who has been there. Next time I will make sure to get my socks off. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2004, 12:38 PM

First time was a few weeks after very first Zoo tourney. Had registered at Stars just to play in the Zoo and had some bucks left over so tried out a $50 PLHE tourney. My first real tourney with a good sized prize pool. 194 opponents and I took 3rd. Won $1164 and it was probably the biggest adrenaline rush I ever had playing poker.

After that I caught the tourney bug, bigtime. And caught the cards. Next 3 events: $30 PLHE 11/303 $109, $50 NLHE 18/230 $138, $50 LHE 4/126 $630. So 4 straight moneys and 2 final tables. Never knew I'd have the knack for these things. After that I had a dry spell, missing the cut 10 tourneys in a row. Then took 2nd in a 198 player NLHE event and 2K. A couple nights later had my biggest score in a $100 166 person NLHE event when I had a 3 way chop at final table for $3400.

21 final tables total, the rush is still the same. Just chopped a 522 entrant $11 rebuy for $3200 last week and it felt like the first time. It never gets old and I get the same butterflies in my stomach every time I see that "Congratulations, you've reached the final table" banner. There's nothing like climbing that mountain of players and reaching the top, it's always hugely gratifying.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:40 PM

Congrats. Tourneys are so much more fun than ring when you do well.

As for excitement wait till it's down to 4 and you're still in, 2 and you're battling heads-up, you win the dang and can't fall asleep for hours..... this can be addictive.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:42 PM

you win the dang and can't fall asleep for hours..... this can be addictive.

I sweated a friend in the $500 tourney at Stars on Sunday and he took third for $25k. I said he should get some rest after a long hard tourney - he said there was no chance he would be able to sleep after winning that much cash!

Personally, the first few times I reached finals in multis I got the 'butterflies' feeling, when I won for the first time I got rather excited, I nearly blew a blood vessel when I won KotZ... you get the idea.

I've calmed down a bit now, so much so that when I won a 1000+ runner multi recently I wasn't really that bothered. Ditto when I win SNGs.

I think when you get a taste of victory at a higher level (ie KotZ), then you crave for more of the same and bigger wins on top of that.

Simon