Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2004, 03:21 PM

Default Sometimes it pays to have an \"Advertising Budget\"

So, I consider myself a fairly tight player, pre-flop. Now and again the flop misses me [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] though, and I've been know to take a stab at what looks to be an unwanted pot.

Did that last night, 1st hand at the table I waited for the BB to come around and got 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

The flop and turn were checked, and a 2 paired on the river. I put out a bluff bet, and everybody folded to, let's call him Nemesis.

He thought a long time, then called me with a K6o.

"Nice call, Nem... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]"

The next 30 or 40 hands were pretty much a wasteland, garbage cards or missed flops. I think I made about 2 more moves on what looked to be unwanted pots, lost one and folded another to a raise.
I did start getting some good cards and flops and was pretty agressive about playing them, playing pretty much perfectly, I thought[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The table got short-handed, and the following hand...

This is Part .50/1, table is pretty loose pre-flop and pretty tight post-flop. A lot of hands were won uncalled with scare cards on the board

There are 6 people, I am UTG+1, Nemesis is BB

I have 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and open-raise

One caller and Nemesis checks

Flop is 8 9 A rainbow

Nemesis checks, I bet, caller calls (what else) and Nemesis raises. I call and caller folds.

Turn is J

Nemesis bets, I raise, Nemesis re-raises, I call (I thought by just calling, I could get some more action on the river)

Turn is K

Nemesis checks, I bet, he raises, I 3-bet, he caps

At that point, about 3 more people left the table, so I logged off and went to bed

Regards

Gar
Old 01-29-2004, 04:15 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Re: Sometimes it pays to have an \"Advertising Budget\"

So.... What happened?!?? Did he show you a QT? Or did you mean that you went to bed before the showdown?!?

-Mike
Old 01-29-2004, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and open-raise

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not ok.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:22 PM

Wow, I am not much of a shorthanded player, but I cannot envision a situation where I open raise with T7s.

Maybe open-fold.

Or Open-Muck.

Not Open raise though.

JW
Old 01-29-2004, 04:26 PM

I consider myself a fairly tight player, pre-flop.

So I have 10 7 and open-raise

Hmmm.

As for your "advertising budget", this guy was probably a fish who would have given you significant action anyway, without you having to waste a bet on a previous river where you knew A-high and probably K-high were going to call you.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:35 PM

I suppose its possible this guy remembers your play from (an hour? 2 hours?) earlier. More likely he's simply a bad player. Or he had some real hand and didn't put you on 10-7, or even Q-10.

Plus this hand is so dissimilar from the first its hard to imagine him getting any influence from the first hand. Now if this second hand had been checked to the river and you hit a pair on the river, bet out at him and he called you with nothing....then maybe its an advertising play, although it doesn't look like a very valuable one to me.

Just my 2 cents.

--Zetack
Old 01-30-2004, 12:47 PM

He mucked. I think he had a couple pair, or a pair of aces, and thought I was making another move with nothing.