Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2004, 04:20 AM

Default What do you guys think of this? (A bit long)

After reading Doyle Brunsons Super System, I got an idea. I play party $100NL mostly, and quite clearly Doyle's Super System won't work at these tables, just too many fishes and calling stations.

But I thought I had a good idea here for a couple of reasons.

1. I usually open for $10 or $15 (5-7XBB) when I raise PF, I noticed that quite often I get no callers.
2. I have been raising AK in LP, sometime MP, becuase I found that its hard it pick up the pot when I miss out of position, but I usually get it by betting about 2/3 of the pot when its checked to me on the flop.

I worked some of the numbers and this is the plan I came up with;

On the button or CO, if there is no raise and no more than 2 limpers, I raise my standard open with the following range of hands: Any 2 face cards, any sc 76s or better, any Ace, any pair bigger than 66, and occassionally some trash.

If I get more than 1 caller I usually shut down.

If I get one caller and its checked to me, I bet 2/3 of the pot.

I fold to any flop bets before me, and fold to any raise, unless I actually have made a hand.

Some important rules I follow:

1. Always know who is in the 3 seats to my left, because these will be the blinds and button, if I am in the CO.
2. If there are a lot of raised pots and calls PF, I don't bother, and shut down entirely at a table that is too loose
3. I don't do it more than once every 3 or 4 orbits, as not to be suspicous. I have seen people who raise PF from the button everytime.
4. I continue to play tight, so my bets and raises get respect, well, by some players anyway.
5. I never show my cards, unless I make a hand and showdown.
6. I pick my battles carefully.

I have been keeping very detailed records, and after about 1000 hands, I made this play 24 times, almost always with hands I would have normally mucked.

It was folded back to me 12 times PF. Once I was re-raised PF and folded.
Of 11 times I saw a flop, I folded to a bet to me 3 times, and was raised off my bluff twice. Once my bet was called and I shut down. (Once I made a big hand, two pair, and won the pot on flop)

These 24 hands made me a profit of $142. My average win rate for 1000 hands is about $425-475 (I play tight/aggressive). This amounts to a substantial increase to my win rate (+33%), if it continues to work as well. I suspect I am on a bit of a good run, but 1/2 that money would be a good deal. Considering how many hands I play per week, 1/2 of what I have been doing would make me an additional $350 per week. I doubt this would work on lower limits, but maybe at higher limits it the play wasn't overly aggressive.

Normaly I raise about 3-4% of the time PF (30-40 in 1000 hands) so this amounts to about 1/3 - 2/5 of the hands I raise PF, so its still more likely than not I am raising with a legit hand.

As a player who rarely bluffs, I must say it feels good to take a pot with 9 high. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyone have an comments?