Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2004, 01:12 PM

Default My poker dilemma

Guys,

I follow the books and play tight, throwing out my trash hands. The problem that I have is that I remain steady in the chip count (since I don't play many hands) and I end up with few chips near the end of the tournament. Do I need to play more hands so that I can get the chip count up and compete with other players near the end?

saharaplayer
Old 01-19-2004, 02:14 PM

Default Re: My poker dilemma

I would suggest re-posting in the tournament forum for better replies.

That said, in general the shorter your stack the more aggressive you need to play. Also, playing tight pre-flop early on is a good strategy, but after the flop you need to use good judgement. Often, no one will have anything so you have to be willing to steal in this situation, otherwise you won't get your fair share of the chips.

Paul
Old 01-19-2004, 03:24 PM

Default Re: My poker dilemma

Play tighter if people have limped (or raised) in front of you, but slightly looser and more aggressive if you are first to act. You also need to be looking for opportunities to steal from smaller stacks or overly tight players with equal or larger stacks.

I highly recommend reading 2+2's Tournament Holdem book, it should help you maintain a better stack on the bubble, which I assume is where you are losing a lot of your chips late in the tournament.