Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2004, 02:43 PM

Default Middle Limit Holdem Poker

I just read Winning Middle Limit Holdem second time. First time I read I had not very much playing experience and now I think I had more ability to estimate the solutions of the questions in the book. The book is mostly very good advice but there is some bad or not so good advice. I have been playing mostly Party 15/30 so when I think about the given advice I often think how it suits that game.

There is many questionable preflop calls in the problem sets. I didn’t read now all the text (I read every 500 questions) so I am not sure if it is said somewhere that the preflop decisions are irrelevant when the question considers for example turn play.

Which of these would you do the same? Blind structure is 1/2 in these questions.

1. Call earlyposition raise late position with AJs or KQs when you are the only caller? Agains typical EP openraisers I would not call and might reraise if the raiser is raising very much.
2. Call a raise with 67s in the small blind when 3 players in or with 54s when 5 players in?
I would not.
3. Call a raise with 75s in the big blind when 2 players in or with K6s when 3 players in or with Q5s when 4 players in or with T8s when two players in?
I would not.
4. Call a raise with 67s in the button when 4 players in? I would not.
5. Limp MP with 67s when 2 players in? I would not.
6. Open limp MP with TJo? I would not.
7. A loose player openraises early position, call MP with 99? I would reraise most of the time.
8. Shorthanded 6 players. Call the cutoff raise in the button with QJs? I think this is questionable. If I choose to play I think I will reraise. More likely when the raiser is trying to steal a lot.
9. Open limp MP with A7s? Questionable. I would raise if I thought I could steal the blinds and limp only if I the game is passive enough and it almost never is, otherwise I would fold.
10. Limp MP with ATo after someone in? I would not.
11. 5 handed game. Call a raise in the SB with K2s when 2 players in? I would not.
12. Call a raise in the SB with AJo when 5 players in? I think it is better to fold.
13. Call MP with KJo, QJo, TJo when some one already in? I would not.

I think there was a little too much folding in the book with marginal situations postflop.
14. For example some one limps, you raise MP with AKo, two more players come in. Flop 973 rainbow, openlimper checks, I bet, one caller. Turn A. I bet, he raises, I fold. Why would I fold? He could easily have same hand or a weaker ace. Once in a while he might have some crap like 78s.
15. Another example you have KK and raise an early limper, SB and the limper calls. Q44 and sb bets, you call. Turn 7, sb bets you raise he reraises. You fold. Is this really a fold against normal players? I think I can not fold, but I am not sure what to do.

About valuebetting..
16. You have QTs in MP, 4 other players, and flop and turn is checked through. Final board 9732T, two players check to you and the book suggests to check. Is this right? I would bet and expect 1 or 2 calls from worse hands, some smaller pairs that were afraid to bet in the flop or turn. I still think this is close.
17. You limp after 3 players limp. Cutoff, SB and BB play too. You have KdQh. Kh7h5h flop. SB bets, all fold to you, you raise, cutoff and SB calls. Turn offsuit 6. You bet and they call. River offsuit 2. Sb checks and it is suggested you check behind. Can you bet here? SB could have two pair in the flop but I think both SB and cutoff have worse card likely enough betting to be right here. I think this is close too.

One bluffing hand..
18. Four player limp to you in the button, you raise with AcTc to vary your play. Sb and BB play too. Kh9c8c, all 6 players check to you, you bet. Two callers. Turn 2d, checked to you, you bet and both call. The river is 8h and both check to you again. The book suggests you to bluff here and bet. Is this right? I think checking is better. A pair is not going to fold because it already called turn so why would it fold river? You win only against no pair hands worse than AT if they call and they wont call. Better to check and hope they had maybe gutshots or some other crap.

And one more hand, there would be more but this post is already way too long.
19. You get free play from the BB holdin 79o after 2 early players and the button limp. Flop 742 rainbow. You bet, only button folds. Turn is a 6 completing the rainbow. The book suggests checking. Don’t you have to bet to protect your hand and hope both fold their overs?

I hope you read this far and comment. Thanks in advance.