Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2004, 05:11 PM

Default -Mason- Standard Deviation, Win rate, Bankroll Calculations

I have had some recent success playing in the $50 NL sit and go tournaments at PP. I wanted to start tracking my performance on an hourly rate, and I was wondering if the calculations you show in GAMBLING THEORY AND OTHER TOPICS
would be applicable to these games.

It costs $50 + $5 to play in one event and they usually take about an hour if you make it to the money spots 1,2,3 which pay 100,150,250 respectively. If I were to enter one lose in 30 minutes record that as a $55 loss, enter another win first record that as a $245 win, wash rinse repeat. This seems to me to be a legitimate way to calculate an hourly rate, but as you point out in your book it might not even be close to accurate as far as my true hourly rate based on skill as opposed to natural fluctuations.

I also want to obtain my standard deviation for these mini tournaments so that I can perform the necessary bankroll calculations your insightful book provides. Anyway in the book you point out that the more sessions the better, and I currently have only recorded 10 sessions. I have taken several 1sts a second and a 3rd and my "hourly rate" as of right now is $95. I have no doubt that this is an inflated figure due to happenstance success in such a small sample size, but I was curious as to your opinion of how many of these tournaments will I have to play before these figures start to have significance.

I suspect that the relationship between win rate and standard deviation in these tournaments will be VERY favorable, and I would like to chart this and see. The opponents in these mini tournements seem to be EXTREMELY weak and they do not adjust their games at all once the blinds begin to increase in the later stages of the tourney. Initially most of the players seem to be way too loose and willing to risk going broke in the tourney, and once there are only 5-6 people left with blinds at significant %'s of total stack size people release hands way too often.