Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2003, 11:14 AM

Default Can anyone drop AA here?

I'm in a Party 30 SnG. It's level 1 and I'm in MP and I get AA. UTG min. raises to 30 (I noticed people really like the min. raise on Party). UTG+1 calls, and player to my immediate right re-raises to 50. I make it something like 150. UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, and player to my right calls. The flop comes KJx rainbow. UTG mini-bets, player to my right calls. I raise to 300. Player to my right re-raises by another 300. UTG and player to right call. UTG has AKo, and player to right has KJo. Can anyone else make the laydown here? Of course I had no reads on anyone. I was able to survive a while longer and was able to conclude that the player to my right was not very good (as though the pre-flop re-raise with KJo was not evidence enough).

Old 12-29-2003, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Can anyone drop AA here?

You couldn't lay it down. What you have to realize is you made a mistake before the flop. With a bet and a raise you need to make it very expensive to play this hand. There is already 75 in the pot and three people are representing they have hands. You need to bet a good bit (at least 250 I think) and hope to get heads up.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:04 PM

Hiya PlayerA,

I think your small pre-flop reraise compelled you to play AA cautiously here. This is another case where I think it would have been better to make a Pot+10% reraise (~T280), and run off the riff-raff. It leaves you in a much easier situation after the flop, as you have a better idea of what hands you might reasonably be facing.

Cris
Old 12-29-2003, 06:10 PM

Without stack sizes, it's hard to know if you PFR was effective. In general, I think the fact that you've tripled the previous re-raise was a pretty good "signal" that you think you have the best hand.

You have been "warned" that your 2 opponents were pretty proud of their hands as well - they both raised and called you raise. A flop like KJx could very well have helped your opponents more than you wanted. The betting tells me:

UTG caught a piece of the flop and EMP caught a big piece of the flop and smooth called UTG's bet to suck you in.

Regardless of how smart their decisions were to "be there" in the first place, I'd be very worried that I was behind here. KK or JJ wouldn't be out of the question as candidates for EMP's hand and I would consider laying this down unless I knew that EMP had a history of terribly overplaying hands. If the last bet put them all-in and didn't cripple me I'd call it down. If this hand would cripple me (the betting is likely to get more aggressive after the turn) I'd probably get out. It's not fun, but we all know that AA doesn't always win.