Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2003, 09:15 AM

Default 10-20 SB hand..i think i played this wrong

10-20 hand I'm in SB with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG (textbook player preflop, but horrible weak passive player post flop) limps, MP limps, to the cutoff who just calls (button is semi loose aggressive and playing raising way too many hands/draws). Comes to me I call and BB checks.

flop comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, BB checks, UTG checks to the cutoff who bets

He's been beting all night here with draws, small pairs and of course when he hits top pair, two pair or sets too.

I have mid pair with a flush draw. I just call. BB folds, UTG calls and MP folds.

Turn comes Ace [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, UTG checks, cutoff bets again, I call, and UTG calls.

River comes 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, UTG checks, cutoff bets, I call, and UTG calls.

Results to follow.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:19 AM

Default Results

Cutoff had 3 4 offsuit and missed his straight, but hit his bottom pair.

UTG had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

All thoughts and suggestions welcome
Old 12-20-2003, 10:08 AM

Default Re: 10-20 SB hand..i think i played this wrong

preflop: fold

flop: you should checkraise since you might be good here.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:27 AM

Hi Rigo,

UTG (textbook player preflop, but horrible weak passive player post flop) limps, MP limps, to the cutoff who just calls (button is semi loose aggressive and playing raising way too many hands/draws). Comes to me I call and BB checks.

You'd fold here preflop? Since the raise came from a loose player raising too many hands and there are 4 opponents entering the pot. You're getting 6-1 on your call, and if the BB comes youre getting 7-1. I think I'd find a call here.

And I'd check-raise the flop for sure.

Is calling here preflop against this lineup and out of position that bad?

-Scott
Old 12-20-2003, 12:19 PM

hi lawrence
good post. i think you should check-raise the CO on the flop if the button folded after the bet. t5hen, bet out on the turn to get the fold. check call the river to snap of the busted. you did that.

you played it o.k. but sometimes an early raise will settle down an aggressive and make him more predictable. that is advantageous when your hand likes passive action, but many good pros would have played it just like you did.

by the way, the pre-flop call was not stellar. you need to tighten up on your SB entry standards.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Results

Results-oriented: No way do you win.

Harsh Reality-Oriented: You cannot lose any chips if you fold preflop.

P.S. What the hell is the cutoff limping for with AQ suited? Guess he wanted the blinds to play?
Old 12-20-2003, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Results

Lawrence,

I had trouble understanding the original post but I assume you only called one half a bet pre flop. If the button raised I'd fold small unconnected suited garbage before the flop and I don't think it is close.

Assuming no raise pre flop (and even if there was one) coming out with a flop bet isn't too bad as long as you typically bet your strong hands out of the blinds too. Otherwise the checkraise others have mentioned is a pretty good play in this spot.

Regards,

Rick
Old 12-20-2003, 04:33 PM

Default a couple things

"Results-oriented: No way do you win."

that's not true. if you checkraise the river you might fold out utg. im thinking probably, but i dont know the player either.

this is a river mistake i see made every now and then, and i make it sometimes too, especially when tired. youre pretty darn certain you have the river better beat, but there's another player behind you that youre pretty sure has you beat. yet you just call, feeling too chicken or brain dead or whatever to checkraise, thus allowing the player with the best hand in to overcall. in other words you throw $40 in the garbage when you should invest $80 and likely win the whole pot.

6d2d is a fold preflop for half a sb more, especially when you have guys limping with stuff like AQs, and players in late position who dont like to give free cards.

Old 12-20-2003, 04:40 PM

Default Re: a couple things

That's good input, Mike.

Trying to remove phrases like "No way" and "Never" is prolly a good idea.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:50 PM

Preflop I'd probably fold, but it's close.

Having seen the flop though, what a beaut. I'd bet out most of the time hoping for a raise so I could 3-bet. I want the whole field to see the turn with the flop capped if I can get it, so leading into the field with the aggressive guy acting last is the way to go. Realize that you are the favorite this hand even if you are facing top pair. Mix in some chance that you'll be raised by a draw, sprinkle the possibility that your aggressive betting will fold a better hand, and you have a hand that deserves to be pushed to the max.

Once you checked, I'd check-raise, especially given your description of the bettor. You might fold a better hand and get heads up with a draw. If they call, that's fine too... you are the favorite and now you're getting at least 2:1 on every bet you put in the pot. Only good things happen when you play this hand fast on the flop.

The river decision would have been much easier as well if you'd attacked with this hand... given the way you player it, calling might not be terrible, but I'd fold. If you have the courage to raise, you have my respect. If you'd been heads up, calling would have been better.

My 2 cents.

-Eric