Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2003, 07:18 PM

Default unusual way to play my favorite hand

I get delt my favorite hand 33 on the button 4 limpers to me i limp as well. (Debated raising for deception and a free card on the flop). SB calls and BB raises. He's got something good to raise all the callers from the blinds. Not necessairly a pair though. The 4 limpers all call and I decided to rr with all the callers for a lot of deception and good value if i flop a set. SB fold and bb just calls. (He'd cap with kk or aa 98% of time). flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Checked to me on the button. I like my hand more and maybe the bb will even raise my bet with just 2 overcards to limit the field. I bet 3 call including the bb. Turn card is the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] checked to me again I still like my hand and bet. BB folded what turned out to be AK other limper fold and guy on my right calls. River is the case 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] giving me 8's full of 3's. Checked to me and i bet figuring i'll probally get called by ace high. I'll post the results later. Feel free to critique my play.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:51 PM

Default Re: unusual way to play my favorite hand

You made a highly agressive play that depends largely upon your read of your opponents. I prefer the opponent independant limp with small pp and fold at the first show of strength method. To each his own I guess [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2003, 12:55 AM

If someone limp-reraises from the button, I generally put them on a range of hands that specifically excludes high-quality hands like AA-99, AKs, AQs, etc. I typically put them on medium-to-lowish suited connectors or smallish pocket pairs. A thinking player would likely not be deceived by your pre-flop play and an unthinking player won't notice.

I like the bet on the flop, but don't like getting three callers.

The turn bet? If you think you'll drop some overcards it has merit but a raise should make you drop the hand.

The river bet? I'm a big fan of thin value bets on the river, but I don't think this is a good spot. You're going to get called by a hand that beats you far more times than you will get called by a worse hand. This is not a profitable bet, IMHO.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:24 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i really hate raising this preflop as well as limp-reraising it. you want the blinds in, and you're highly risking yet another bet for a total of 2 bets when you reraise.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to rr with all the callers for a lot of deception and good value if i flop a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense to me. Reraise for value in case you flop a set? You're getting at most 6:1 on that 3rd bet, but are almost 8:1 against and probably need 10:1 to compensate for the times you hit your set and still lose. How is this a value raise? I believe you'll make money on the hand playing it this way, you just won't make as much as you would if you just called the raise.

The river bet is not good. You'll be beaten well over 50% of the time when you are called, not to mention the complications of handling check-raises against decent opponents.

All in all, not good, in my opinion.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:39 AM

I don't understand the deception or 3-betting pre-flop. You limped behind four limpers, what do you want them to think you have?

In my game, against 5 opponents, I wouldn't like a flop of 9-8-8. But I play small pairs particularly poorly. You've encouraged me to post about my pocket threes.

Old 12-19-2003, 02:57 AM

Since ace-high is the only hand that -might- call that you can beat, and since there is just about %0 chance of getting a pair to fold, (well, maybe%0.002, just in case the dealer sweeps their hand by mistake, they misread their hand, etc.) I do not agree with your river bet.

Conversely, I like the flop and turn bets. You must do everything you can to encourage your opponents to fold 6-out hands.

However: This is a so-so flop for your hand. The problem is that there are a lot of limping hands that will be hit by a flop of 988, as opposed to a flop of K22, or whatever. I'd be more delicate with this sort of flop. That said, when everyone goes limp on the flop and checks to you on the turn, I think betting becomes a serious option for the reason mentioned above.

-Diplomat
Old 12-19-2003, 05:54 AM

Well i agree with u all about the river bet. I was just so sure a pair of 9's would have bet into me since he was right on my right and the fact i've seen him play for 3 and a half hours I couldn't imagine he had a 9. And why rr occasionally when u get 6 to 1 preflop with medium to small pairs. Well the same reason u only need to get 5 to 1 to call with them even though you're 7.5 to 1 to flop a set. When u do hit u can anticipate to win a lot of extra bets, and typically it's a check fold situation when u don't so u don't stand to lose much. As for the deception. AK and kj laid down on the turn. They were sure i had a made hand at least queens. Now they weren't right but that's what i though they'd think and they did. The flop bet is fairly easy IMO it'd be a crime to give any free cards or show weakness after reraising to imply strength. When i got 3 callers i knew the preflop raiser had big cards like AK. This could have changed if i got hit on the flop or turn but i didn't. with all the bets any overcards would call. I was planning on betting the turn if a good card fell and it was checked to me hoping to get some more overcards to fold. Fold if i got raised and check the river. But when the 3rd 8 fell i was pretty sure my hand was good. But I still agree it was a bad bet.

How did the hand turn out. I got called by the 1 caller after the turn. He showed me ace high and i took it down.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:12 PM

fwiw i would put you on suited maybe JTs when u limp reraise, definietly no big pair or big cards. (maybe Axs but thats not big cards)