Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2003, 03:01 PM

Default Aces vs. a big stack on the flop

Empire $50 buy-in NL. Two limp in early for $1. I raise to $8 with black aces. Both limpers call, as does the big blind, 4 players.

flop jack high rainbow rags. Second limper bets $5 (he has me covered). I push in my $75 but miss something like $0.05 of it. Bettor calls, rest fold. Turn is a rag, he bets to make sure he gets my last nickle in the pot, I of course call.

Turn and river put four to a six high str8 on the board.

Comments?

al
Old 12-18-2003, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Aces vs. a big stack on the flop

Sounds to me like you did the right thing. Your opponent probably has AJ or QQ/KK and there's nothing on that board to scare you off. You'll be sad if he has pocket Jacks but you can't assume that. AJ seems more likely, anyway, since he tried to limp in.

SpaceAce
Old 12-18-2003, 03:24 PM

To limp and call an $8 pre flop wreaks of a small pair to me.

Looks to me like he hit his set on the flop, bet into you to see where you were at.

Considering this is a Empire/Party NL$50 game, with him betting into me, I might re-raise to $10 and see what he does. If he goes all in, I'm thinking your gonna have to make a tough decision. If he calls you may still be best, but with an uncoordinated flop, it looks like a great time to slowplay a set.

Thats my guess [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

WJ
Old 12-18-2003, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To limp and call an $8 pre flop wreaks of a small pair to me.

Looks to me like he hit his set on the flop, bet into you to see where you were at.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought of that but since he didn't tell us what the "rags" were, I am guessing they didn't turn out to be important.

SpaceAce
Old 12-18-2003, 04:09 PM

I did purposely leave out some critical info that *I* had but no one on the forum has yet. But you are right, the exact cards didn't make that much difference. I mean what difference would it make if I had said J 8 4 vs. J 3 2? There WAS however a four to a six high str8 at the river. But we were both already all-in by then.

I expected widely varying opinions on this hand.

al
Old 12-18-2003, 08:22 PM

Al,
Looks like you raised about 10% of your stack and got a couple of customers making the pot about $32. I hate when one of those limpers bets into you on the flop cause it often means either they're testing out their top pair or inducing a raise from you with their set. But I still haven't figured out how to distinguish the two.

Here's my opinion on this hand though: So this guys got you covered in which case he probably has more than two times the buy in or close to it. So I'd have to make my decision based on the player type. If he's solid, I'd pop in a $10 - $15 raise to see how he reacted. Although if he's solid I can't see a hand he would limp in with, call a raise, and bet into you on the flop with. If he's one of those loose players that got lucky and doubled up I'd push in my stack as you did. I've seen loose guys online over play their top pair against a PF raiser with a potential over pair.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:53 AM

Default comment and results

[ QUOTE ]
Although if he's solid I can't see a hand he would limp in with, call a raise, and bet into you on the flop with. If he's one of those loose players that got lucky and doubled up...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

Yes, he had gotten very out of line several times, gotten lucky, and thus had a very large stack. Normally I would be afraid of a set here, but against this particular guy I had to just push it in and take my chances.

He had JTo and my hand was good.

al