Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2003, 12:30 PM

Default Check raise w/ the second nut flush?

15-30 game online

1 limper to me, I raise with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in LMP. LP, who seems to be playing more aggressively against me since I won a big pot off him, 3-bets. Limper calls, I call.

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Limper checks, I bet, LP raises, limper folds, I call (mistake 1?)

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, LP bets, I call (mistake 2)

River: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet (mistake 3?)

I'm not happy with the way I played this hand, but I was having trouble adjusting to LPs newfound aggression. I think you can argue that I misplayed it on every street postflop(yay!). Thanks for any input.

Results: LP just called my river bet. The hand history shows that the had 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Old 12-16-2003, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Check raise w/ the second nut flush?

Street by Street:

PF: Nothing wrong.

F: I think, player dependent, the only real hands you are afraid of is AdQd or AA with the diamond, in terms of legitimate 3 betting hands. The fact that he might be trying to 'get' you (playing more aggressive) broadens his hands to the point I think you have to be ahead, and three betting is ok, but calling the raise is a close second.

T: I think I like the check-raise here, rather than check/call. You will know where you stand. If he three bets, call him down. If he calls, bet out on the river.

R: This is a blank. Unless you think you can get a check-raise in, due to your passivity, I bet this out almost every time.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Check raise w/ the second nut flush?

Flop- hard to argue too much with this play. I might have check called if I was certain "out to get me" would raise, and if I know he's gonna raise, I almost have to have a 3bet plan(or go back to check call)

Turn- I'd CR almost every time, but in the special case of a tilting maniac gunning for me I'd probably lead out in the hopes of getting in a 3 or cap.

River- I'd lead out, probably only call a raise though. (Good chance I'd be seeing the TT or even 88 monsters under the bed here, not a horrible read considering dude had 99)