Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2003, 09:58 PM

Default Did I overplay?

This is the kind of hand that's been making me sick lately... Any advice is appreciated even if "that's just poker"

I'm about an hour ten into a $30 nl tourney w/ a field of 1002. Feeling pretty good having played tight and doubled my starting chips. I've got $1990. Blinds are 100/200. I'm on the button with JJ. Seats 7 & 9 call the big blind. I've thought the table to be pretty loose with 4 or 5 seeing every flop, so I try to raise some eyebrows and raise $500. Blinds and seat 7 fold and seat 9 re-raises $600 - leaving him with only $130 left. I figured if he was better than JJ, he would have raised rather than call, so I call his $600. Flop comes Kd, As, 3h. He goes all-in for $130. I call figuring him for A or K, and I mistakenly think I'm getting enough from the pot for a 2 outer (after doing the math, I know I was wrong). We get a 4s on the turn and Ad on the river and he turns over (drum roll please) QQ !?!?
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Not the hand I was expecting.

Overall thoughts on this hand would be appreciated...

3 hands later I went all in with KK and lost to A8, which I'm fine with - this hand bugs me though...

Did I overplay? Should I have dropped on the pre-flop re-raise?

Old 12-14-2003, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Did I overplay?

You had no intention of laying down JJ, and your opponent had even less intention of laying down QQ.

On a recent telecast, Howard Lederer commented about one hand--I believe it was AA versus KK, that all the money was going into the middle eventually, however the betting went. I think you ran into that situation with this hand.

While JJ is not a hand you most want to live and die with, given the betting sequence I can find no fault with your actions. Other, more experienced folks, may disagree. And if they do, I'm sure we will both hear about it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Better luck next time out.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Did I overplay?

Given your stack and the 2 limpers, I think the best bet for you was to raise all-in rather than 500. Same result though in this case.