Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2003, 05:01 AM

Default Did I play this right?

I was thinking that the pot would be between me and bzbalstud after I went all in, I had noticed him making rasieses with hands like K-10 and any ace, however I got buschwhacked when another guy had K-K, did I play this right?
PokerStars Game #180632378: Tournament #575905, Hold'em No Limit -
Level VI (100/200) - 2003/11/18 - 03:46:23 (ET)
Table '575905 1' Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: kestrel49 (1770 in chips)
Seat 2: Budda4 (7350 in chips)
Seat 6: bzbalstud (3275 in chips)
Seat 8: kingstalker (1105 in chips)
kingstalker: posts small blind 100
kestrel49: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to kingstalker [Ts As]
Budda4: folds
bzbalstud: raises 200 to 400
kingstalker: raises 705 to 1105 and is all-in
kestrel49: calls 905
bzbalstud: folds
*** FLOP *** [8d 5d Qh]
*** TURN *** [8d 5d Qh] [3d]
*** RIVER *** [8d 5d Qh 3d] [2c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
kingstalker: shows [Ts As] (high card Ace)
kestrel49: shows [Ks Kc] (a pair of Kings)
kestrel49 collected 2610 from pot
Budda4 said, "gg King"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2610 | Rake 0
Board [8d 5d Qh 3d 2c]
Seat 1: kestrel49 (big blind) showed [Ks Kc] and won (2610) with a pair
of Kings
Seat 2: Budda4 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: bzbalstud (button) folded before Flop
Seat 8: kingstalker (small blind) showed [Ts As] and lost with high
card Ace
Old 11-18-2003, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Did I play this right?

Were you in the money or on the bubble with 4 players (1 table or 2 table)?

I'll assume on the bubble. I say fold, the reason is you're the short stack and you could have any ace or be on a resteal to defend your blind, so you're guaranteed a call from the raisor. He folded here because the BB (who, i wouldn't have been worried about really) called but I think he would have called otherwise.

In this position you need to be stealing or seeing cheap flops and either buying the pot or hitting a pair and getting it all in.

Sit tight, be the initial raisor, only reraise with a hand you would be happy being all-in with.

Jon
Old 11-18-2003, 12:12 PM

Just because a player has been stealing with hands as bad as KT, doesn't mean he has one now. Let's say that he would make this raise with any of the following hands. The number after each is the number of ways he could have that hand, given that you hold AT

KT 12, A8 12, A9 12, you dominate
AJ 12, AQ 12, AK 12, AA 3, dominate you

KJ 16, KQ 16, AT 9, you are ahead or even
99 6, TT 3, JJ 6, QQ 6, KK 6, you are behind

Of all these 137 hands, you dominate 36, and 39 dominate you. However, where you are ahead it is not by a lot, but you are significantly behind some of the ones you are behind.

So, even without the possibility of a better hand behind you, you should have laid your hand down to the bully. Note that reraising is an even worse option than calling, because all of the hands that you are ahead of will fold, whereas only 1/3 of the hands that dominate you and only 1/2 of the hands ahead of you will fold (if that).

If you stretch the hands he would bet to include any ace, then your raise makes sense, especially if he would call your reraise with more of these. However, with another player to act after you, you have to tighten up yet further.

By the way, remember that many people have to read your note for only one of you writing it, plus we are doing you a favor be reading and commenting. Please take the time to make it as readable as you can, and don't just paste the hand history.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:21 PM

i think you should fold preflop, as you are near the money and won't have a big edge against most hands that even a loose raiser will show down. and there is still a big blind to worry about. it is fairly close, though. with an AQ i would definitely be inclined to push in, in this spot.

a good side-question: when you're the big blind here, do you push in or just flat call? certainly you increase your chances of winning the pot by reraising, but if the all-in player holds an ace, you will lose the pot if an ace hits anyway, so any hand that the button holds would be far enough behind you that you would probably be willing to let him in, especially since you will very likely come in third in the tourney if the button makes two pair or better.

any opinions?